Valley Court Park to get ice skating rink after fundraising goal was met

<p>Ice skating rink in&nbsp;Howell, MI, which a&nbsp;statement from the City of East Lansing said was very similar to the rink being installed.&nbsp;Courtesy of&nbsp;<a href="http://www.howellrecreation.org/">Howell Area Parks & Recreation</a>.</p>

Ice skating rink in Howell, MI, which a statement from the City of East Lansing said was very similar to the rink being installed. Courtesy of Howell Area Parks & Recreation.

Valley Court Park will be getting an ice skating rink for East Lansing residents to use after all.

In a release sent to media on Tuesday afternoon, the Downtown Development Authority and Downtown Management Board announced the installation of the ice rink and thanked generous East Lansing businesses and groups for their donations to the community outreach and engagement program.

Among the donors who contributed to the $3,700 donation goal were Beggar’s Banquet, The Riv, Rick’s American Cafe, Harrison Roadhouse, MSU Federal Credit Union, Harper’s Restaurant and Brewpub, Weathervane Advisors, Student Book Store, Goomba’s Pizza, Charlie Kang’s, Martin Luther Chapel and the East Lansing Forward Citizen Group.

"Donations are still being accepted," Amy Schlusler, DMB coordinator and community development specialist II with the Department of Planning, Building & Development said. "Any additional donations would be put towards operations costs."

The rink is expected to be up and running from Feb. 11 to Feb. 25 and free for the public to use from 3 p.m. - 9 p.m., barring bad weather. The rink can hold anywhere from 40-50 skaters at a time according to the release and will be managed by volunteers within the community and staff from the East Lansing Department of Planning, Building and Development.

"We are so pleased to support this community engagement project and believe that the rink will offer a different, meaningful activity for residents and downtown visitors,” said DDA Chairperson Bill Mansfield in a statement.

The DMB is seeking volunteers from the community to help build the rink and help with the general upkeep of it. More information regarding how to volunteer will be available within the next week, Schlusler said in statement.

For updates on the development of the rink and for volunteer opportunities, community members can visit www.downtownel.com

Share and discuss “Valley Court Park to get ice skating rink after fundraising goal was met” on social media.