E.L. residents have mixed feelings about Bailey Community Center renovations

<p>Bailey Community Center playground sits empty Jan 30, 2015, 300 Bailey St East Lansing due to the recently announced closing of the building. State News file photo.&nbsp;</p>

Bailey Community Center playground sits empty Jan 30, 2015, 300 Bailey St East Lansing due to the recently announced closing of the building. State News file photo. 

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

The Capital Area Housing Project cleared its final hurdle early this month when it was awarded low-income housing tax credit by the state, clearing the way for renovations to the Bailey Community Center to become a primarily a senior living center. Now as the CAHP plans to begin building soon, some Bailey neighborhood residents still resent the loss of a one time pillar of the community. 

The Bailey Community Center first opened up its doors in 1922 as a school in the city’s school district. As MSU rose to prominence in the state and new residents began to flood the city in droves, the Bailey Center quickly became a go to for many newcomers. 

Many MSU faculty relied on Bailey for childcare services and the center developed into a gathering spot for local community arts and recreation events. But as age started to overtake the 94 year old building the costs of operating it fell into a $150,000 deficit. It incurred $400,000 in repair costs and that’s when East Lansing City Council decided its doors should close for good

That’s where the ire over the loss of pillar began as community members wanting to preserve the building first voiced their concerns. Parents and residents in the area spoke out saying they wanted to keep the building open for childcare and didn’t want to lose aspects of the community the Bailey Center brought.

But that voice may be losing traction as some residents are happy the old building will be put to better use and others didn’t care what happened to the building.

“We definitely want it to be used for something and hopefully for the community,” Andre Binion 38, a Bailey neighborhood resident said. “I’m just happy they're doing something with it, it’s a waste to see it just not be used.”

Another resident saw the renovations as a means of practicality.

“I think it’s fine to update building as it’s necessary,” Byron Valentine a 26 year old who lives on Bailey Street said. “I understand people have a sense of nostalgia about the community center. There’s an aging population and we need to adjust our lifestyles to that.”

Possible problems possibly lie with the project itself and if it’s the right fit for the community. It was questioned whether the city thoroughly researched enough to allow for the CAHP’s project.

“I’ve never seen a study that said they thought that was a good idea,” Sharon Watson a 61 year old resident of the community said about plans for making it a senior center.

Residents have been unsure that housing was the best option but three meetings with citizens with the city council found senior housing to be one best option for Bailey Community Center.

“The city of East Lansing had also conducted a senior housing survey a year prior and had indicated there was a substantial need for senior housing,” CAHP Executive Director Mikki Droste said.

The CAHP plan includes renovations to create 25 one and two bedroom apartments for seniors ages 55 plus. CAHP also will be adding a daycare and commercial space for businesses.

“The original brick structure facing Bailey will stay,” Droste said. “Because that building is a historical commission site that commission will review all site plans.”

The project will be tearing down the one story addition to the old building and adding a three story building to replace it. That section will be additional housing and a daycare. The classrooms on the second and third floors of the old building will be converted to apartments Droste said. 

“We worked really hard to include the neighborhood in the plans as they were being created, and ask questions and get input and try to include anything we could that was suggested by them,” Droste said referring to the Bailey neighborhood residents.

“This isn’t a big developer coming into town to plop a building in the middle of their neighborhood and the run off we’re very vested in the community,” Droste said.

Droste echoed many residents who felt pushing the community forward and trying to benefit it further was the best option.

Share and discuss “E.L. residents have mixed feelings about Bailey Community Center renovations” on social media.