Spartans prepare for Big Ten home opener against injury plagued Illinois

From left to right, junior guard Eron Harris, senior forward Matt Costello, and red shirt freshman Kenny Goins celebrate after scoring on Dec. 22, 2015 during the game against Oakland University at the Palace of Auburn Hillin Auburn Hills, Mich. The Spartans defeated the Grizzlies, 99-93 in overtime.
From left to right, junior guard Eron Harris, senior forward Matt Costello, and red shirt freshman Kenny Goins celebrate after scoring on Dec. 22, 2015 during the game against Oakland University at the Palace of Auburn Hillin Auburn Hills, Mich. The Spartans defeated the Grizzlies, 99-93 in overtime. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

After not playing at Breslin Center for nearly a month, the No. 5 MSU basketball team returns home for its Big Ten home opener Thursday night at 9 p.m. The Spartans will take on an Illinois team that is hungry for its first conference win and has had success at Breslin before -- winning its previous two trips to East Lansing. 

Senior guard Denzel Valentine said he thinks Illinois has been giving MSU trouble at Breslin the past couple years in large part because Illinois embraces the challenge and raises their level of play at Breslin. 

"Historically we're the best team in the league," Valentine said.

"... we're in the top five schools in the nation, so they're going to come here with an edge on their shoulders and play hard and step up to the challenge and they've done that every time they've came here -- they've been ready to play and more sense of urgency than us, so we got to change that this year." 

This season, Illinois boasts a dynamic pair of junior guards in Kendrick Nunn and Malcom Hill, who are averaging 18.5 and 17.9 points per game respectively. Nunn missed the first five games of the season after having surgery on his left thumb and Illinois has managed a 6-2 record since his return, featuring tough losses to Notre Dame and Iowa State.

"Nunn and Hill are still back and those guys are thorns in our sides, they’re a dynamic duo, both are averaging 18 points per game," MSU coach Tom Izzo said. "I think they come here kind of desperate, with some confidence because they beat us here before."

Injuries have been the story this season for Illinois as they lost fifth-year senior point guard Tracy Abrams to a season ending foot injury for the second straight year, and transfer senior and starting big man, 6-foot-11 Mike Thorne Jr., who tore his meniscus in their game against Iowa State. Thorne Jr. was off to a good start to the season averaging 13.4 points and 8.4 rebounds and offering a veteran presence in the post.

"They’ve had some players hurt, and yet they’re playing at a pretty good level right now, as far as stretches of games," Izzo said. "They played really well against Michigan, then all the sudden they did a poor job; they played really well against Ohio State, then poor, then really well down the stretch -- so segments of (games)."

With Thorne out, Illinois is left with a depleted frontcourt featuring just two true big men in freshmen forward Michael Finke, who has been given a starting role since Thorne Jr.'s injury and senior center Maverick Morgan.

Illinois' lack of size could play right into MSU's strength right now with senior forward Matt Costello, junior forward Gavin Schilling and freshmen forward Deyonta Davis all playing well recently.

Costello said MSU will need to continue their physical play to get Illinois out of their comfort zone early on Thursday.

"They’re a tough team, they’re physical, they shoot the ball well, they’re streaky so we just need to take away what they do well early and do what we do on offense."

Izzo said he is anxious to get to play at Breslin for the first time in almost a month and is looking forward to having the Izzone Alumni in attendance as students are not yet back from winter break.

"I’m anxious to get back home, I think (the players) are, but Illinois, they lost some games early too, they were playing without Nunn and they’ve had some injuries to some guys, but Nunn was their leading scorer and he did miss some games they lost," Izzo said.

"So we’re anxious and we’re looking forward to a very good battle."

Share and discuss “Spartans prepare for Big Ten home opener against injury plagued Illinois ” on social media.