Nike Hyper Elite 'Mean Green' jerseys befitting for Izzo and players

The Spartans huddle together before the game against Maryland on Jan. 23, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 74-65.
The Spartans huddle together before the game against Maryland on Jan. 23, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 74-65. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

MSU basketball shined bright for the country to see during Saturday night's 74-65 victory against Maryland — literally.

With ESPN College GameDay in town to showcase the matchup between MSU and Maryland, the No. 11 Spartans (17-4, 4-4 Big Ten) broke out the "Mean Green" Nike Hyper Elite Disruption uniforms.

There were mixed perceptions among fans about the jerseys, but MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo was all about them.

"I know they're crazy, but 17-year-olds like them and right now I like 17-year-olds more than 80-year-olds," Izzo said, making a nod to the possible recruiting advantages new uniforms present.

Many of MSU's players were also big fans of the neon green jerseys. In addition to this, the uniforms appeared to do a good job firing up the fans. Breslin Center was electric all night long.

"Those jerseys were, oh my God, those were sweet," MSU senior guard Denzel Valentine said. "The fans did a heck of a job coming out and supporting us even though we lost two in a row at home. They could of easily packed it in... but that's Spartans, you know. We support each other."

Valentine had 19 points, 14 rebounds and eight assists Saturday night.

As for what they'll do with the uniforms next, there's always the chance they wear them again this season, but for now, junior guard Eron Harris has his own special plan for what he's going to do with it.

"It's crazy," Harris said. "I'm probably just going to give it to my mom, my little brother or something. My mom will put it in her office. I'm going to keep the shorts, though. I'm going to keep the socks, too."

Share and discuss “Nike Hyper Elite 'Mean Green' jerseys befitting for Izzo and players” on social media.