MSU Debate places top four in tournament over break

MSU Debate recently placed in the top four at a California tournament.

The tournament took place over winter break and brought in ninety-seven teams from across the country.

Michigan State had three pairs competing in the competition. The teams top pair consisted of Honors College and international relations senior Tyler Thur and mathematics senior Margaret Strong, who defeated opponent pairs from Harvard University, University of Michigan, Georgetown University, Trinity University, Indiana University, and Rutgers University - Newark.

The pair finished in the quarterfinals. 

In the individual speaker awards category, Strong finished 5th overall while Thur finished 7th.

Head Coach Will Repko praised his top pair along with his entire team, which consisted of two other pairs of students. 

The other MSU pairs consisted of computer science sophomore Connor Munsinger and international relations freshman Luc Walkington; and professional writing sophomore Breana Brill and physics freshman Evan Runburg.

"The California tournament is an important marker as it kicks off the final half of the competitive college debate season," Repko said in a press release. "Tyler and Marge had another great tournament in California, continuing their standing as a top-ranked team nationally."

The topic up for debate this season revolved around United States military presence abroad. Up next for the Spartan Debate Team is the Dartmouth Round Robin tournament, a competitive event which only invites the top seven teams in the country. 

It will take place Jan. 23-24.

Share and discuss “MSU Debate places top four in tournament over break ” on social media.