Contrary to reports, ELPD not interested in armored vehicles

<p>East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

Recent concerns that East Lansing Police Department is interested in obtaining an armored vehicle have been denied, according to an ELPD statement. 

"We are cognizant of recent concerns from the public about the militarization of local police," ELPD Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth said in the statement.

ELPD was interested in obtaining an armored vehicle roughly three years ago, when it had its own tactical response team. It no longer has one specifically tied to East Lansing, rather, the ELPD is part of a regional tactical response team composed of officers from the Ingham County Sheriff's Office, MSU Police Department and the Meridian Township Police Department.

Through this partnership, ELPD officers already have access to an armored vehicle.

"It's important for the community to understand that these types of vehicles would only be used in high-risk tactical scenarios where bullet-proof transport is necessary to keep personnel safe," Lt. Wriggelsworth said in the statement. 

Share and discuss “Contrary to reports, ELPD not interested in armored vehicles” on social media.