Community members able to showcase vocal talent in MSU's annual Choral Union

Lansing resident Iris Linder sings during a Choral Union rehearsal on Jan. 13, 2016 at the Communication Arts and
Sciences Building.
Lansing resident Iris Linder sings during a Choral Union rehearsal on Jan. 13, 2016 at the Communication Arts and Sciences Building. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

For both students and local residents, MSU’s Choral Union is a time to come together and display their singing talents.

MSU’s annual Choral Union is a community-based musical effort run by MSU director of choral programs and associate dean for graduate studies and research David Rayl.

“Everyone here is from a wide variety of musical backgrounds,” Rayl said.For both students and local residents, MSU’s Choral Union is a time to come together and display their singing talents.

“Everyone here is from a wide variety of musical backgrounds,” Rayl said. “Some have experience, some don’t.”

The Choral Union meets every semester and usually performs at the Wharton Center, but this year is performing April 9 at Plymouth Congregational Church in Lansing.

There is opportunity for students to take the Choral Union as a class for credit, Rayl said many don’t, making the Choral Union a largely community experience for Lansing residents of every age.

David Mackson said he graduated from MSU in 1982 and finally decided to audition for the Choral Union.

“I’ve known about this for a long time. I have a lot of experience in church chorals — I figured I’d give it a try,” he said.

The Choral Union attracts people from all walks of life, old and new.

Julia Brokaw, a research technician working in pollination biology with MSU, said she was feeling nervous before her audition.

“I haven’t sang in front of anyone in awhile,” Brokaw said. “My profession has nothing to do with singing, but I love to sing anyway.”

Some of the participants even come with their whole family.

Lansing resident Margo Sinkevitch enrolled both herself and her two high school-aged children to participate in the Union. She said she tried it last semester with her daughter and fell in love with the directors. Her son decided to come along after seeing their performance.

“The directors are always great,” Sinkevitch said. “You always walk away feeling enriched.”

Graduate assistant Amy Hall works with the Choral Union and helps direct it alongside Rayl. She said she likes connecting with the community.

The Choral Union is currently rehearsing The Duruflé piece “Requiem,” composed by Maurice Duruflé.

The Choral Union rehearses every Wednesday in room 147 of the Communication Arts and Sciences Building. Tuition is $52 per semester.

“My favorite part about directing the Choral Union is when someone says something that reminds them of how fun music is,” Rayl said. 

Share and discuss “Community members able to showcase vocal talent in MSU's annual Choral Union” on social media.