East Lansing resolution to welcome Syrian refugees to be voted on

<p>East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

A resolution declaring the city of East Lansing a welcoming community for Syrian refugees is on the East Lansing City Council's agenda for the Dec. 1 council meeting. 

The meeting will occur inside city hall at 7 p.m. where council can choose to approve, decline or defer action on the resolution.

East Lansing Mayor Mark Meadows said he will be supporting the resolution.

"We (the city of East Lansing) have always been welcoming to refugees and I see no reason to change our philosophy towards them at this time," he said.

Meadows said the history of acceptance of different backgrounds and culture in the city has allowed for a number of active community leaders — particularity from the Muslim community — to rise up and add to the experience of living in East Lansing.

Meadows said he would also like to note the refugees do go through rigorous screening before being allowed into the U.S. 

The resolution states that everyday communities across the globe are recognizing that being welcoming makes them more economically competitive as well as more vibrant places for all residents to live.

"We can make sure that our community stands on the better side of history," the resolution states. "When we look back 10 or 20 years from now, we will remember that we weren’t hindered by our fears. Instead, we invited diverse new neighbors to join us in building a stronger community, and we all became better for it..."

Mayor Pro Tem Ruth Beier said she would be "shocked" if the majority or even a large majority of East Lansing residents were opposed to the resolution as residents in East Lansing tend to be "open minded, forward, progressive people."

The mayor pro tem said she disagrees with Governor Snyder's stance on the subject.

"I think every city or community that can contradict what our governor is saying can offset the negativity we give off at the state level," Beier said.

Share and discuss “East Lansing resolution to welcome Syrian refugees to be voted on” on social media.