Mark Dantonio appears as 'Mike' in most recent Sports Illustrated cover

Head coach Mark Dantonio listens to a question during a press conference on Dec. 16, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. Members of the coaching staff discussed team preparations for the upcoming Cotton Bowl against Alabama.
Head coach Mark Dantonio listens to a question during a press conference on Dec. 16, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. Members of the coaching staff discussed team preparations for the upcoming Cotton Bowl against Alabama. —
Photo by Alice Kole | and Alice Kole The State News

MSU head football coach Mark Dantonio was incorrectly identified as 'Mike' Dantonio on the most recent cover of Sports Illustrated. In a College Football Playoff special edition preview, the cover teases to an article titled 'How Mike Dantonio rebuilt the Spartans.'

The magazine has since begun a process of reprinting, according to Sports Illustrated writer Michael Rosenberg.

Sports Illustrated has since issued an apology and corrected the mistake.

It's not he first time national media has had trouble getting Mark Dantonio's name right. During this past summer as Dantonio was making the rounds through a series of interviews on ESPN, he was consistently referred to as 'Mike D'Antoni' -- the former NBA head coach.

Dantonio's No. 3 Spartans (12-1) take on the No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide (12-1) on New Year's Eve in the Cotton Bowl for a chance to play in the national championship game. Kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.

Share and discuss “Mark Dantonio appears as 'Mike' in most recent Sports Illustrated cover” on social media.