Dantonio downplays senior day, Cook still in question and more notes on MSU football

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio speaks with a player prior to the game against Ohio State on Nov. 21, 2015 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 17-14. </p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio speaks with a player prior to the game against Ohio State on Nov. 21, 2015 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 17-14.

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Before No. 6 MSU (10-1 overall, 6-1 Big Ten) takes on Penn State (7-4 overall, 4-3 Big Ten) this Saturday head coach Mark Dantonio held his weekly press conference Tuesday. Here are a few takeaways from Dantonio's statements to the media:

Some things come before sports

Before Dantonio started speaking about football he took time for some special acknowledgements.

"First and foremost, just want to acknowledge and let everyone know at the University of Michigan and Chad Carr's family that we're deeply sorrowed by his passing on Monday," he said. "It's tragic when those type of things happen, and just wanted to reach out.

"Also want to congratulate Sarah Kovan who was with our (women's) soccer team. She's just become a Rhodes Scholar and selected as a Rhodes Scholar this week, so want to congratulate her."

Senior Day not as big for Coach D

For Dantonio, Senior Day is not as emotional as it is for the players, it is not until after the last bowl practice that it actually hits him.

"Senior Day is not too bad for me," Dantonio said. "A tough day for me is the last practice at the bowl game. Because we'll have another month together and some practices, but that last bowl practice is when it hits me that these guys are gone. And it's so abrupt because guys are graduating and they're leaving. Guys are going to work out on their own and they're leaving. You don't see them. All of a sudden, there is just sort of a void. You don't see them. It's sort of very rapid. It's just like sort of a cutoff.

"I always say our goals are about the relationships with our players and that stands as our goal as people. It's a people-driven job, people driven."

No special packages

Whether or not senior quarterback Connor Cook is ready to go on Saturday remains to be seen, but Dantonio said that if he is not there will not be special packages for backups Tyler O'Connor and Damion Terry.

The scheme fans saw against Ohio State was a product of the weather, not the players, Dantonio said.

"They run the same package," Dantonio said. "I don't want to talk about football (schemes), but we don't create packages for guys. They're in our system. They need to grow within our system. It's not like these guys only run these plays. They need to grow within our system. I think our game plan last week was a little more predicated on weather as much as anything else."

Spartans will

Life is good for Spartan fans — right now MSU has the No. 6 football team in the nation and a No. 3-ranked basketball team. Dantonio spoke about his expectations for both teams.

"I think we're to a point where both teams can go into any game and have the opportunity to win," Dantonio said. "I've always felt that, but both teams have an opportunity to line up and be competitive, doesn't mean we're going to win, but you have a legitimate shot to win that football game. The game is inches. It's a throw, rebound, tip pass, whatever it is. So Spartans will, I guess.

"I think you have to dream big. I think you have to dream big as players and you also have to dream big as a coach. When I first came here in November of 2006, I talked about these moments. That these moments were possible here. It's exciting to see those things happen."

Dantonio thanked his past players, coaches and the administration that put him in a position to succeed. He also mentioned the success of basketball was something he aimed to emulate when he arrived in East Lansing.

"There are so many different people that have created that road to those moments," Dantonio said. "Our players, our past players, our past coaches, our coaches currently, our administration, there are so many different people that are part of this, it's hard to even go through them all. But this is what we hope for certainly.

"I still maintain, when I came here, you looked across Munn Field and you saw championships. ... I saw how they won games down the stretch, there was a message there. When I walked over and watched basketball practice and saw the competitiveness on the basketball court and the communication that's taken place on the basketball court between the players, you know, you see championship effort and you see championship communication, trust, and those type of things. It's something that you want to emulate."

Share and discuss “Dantonio downplays senior day, Cook still in question and more notes on MSU football” on social media.