Focus key for MSU basketball heading into Arkansas-Pine Bluff contest

<p>Then-senior guard Denzel Valentine looks to pass the ball as Kansas guard Frank Mason III defends on Nov. 17, 2015 at United Center in Chicago during the Champions Classic. The Spartans defeated the Jayhawks, 79-73.</p>

Then-senior guard Denzel Valentine looks to pass the ball as Kansas guard Frank Mason III defends on Nov. 17, 2015 at United Center in Chicago during the Champions Classic. The Spartans defeated the Jayhawks, 79-73.

Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | The State News

MSU basketball (2-0) will look to build off its big win over Kansas against the Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions on Friday. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

With a holiday tournament in California looming, the Spartans have two more games before they travel to the west coast, and head coach Tom Izzo has not been particularly thrilled with the hangover from their win in the Champions Classic.

“This group has got to learn to focus in and think higher of itself if we are going to be a great team,” Izzo said. “Today we practiced okay, nobody loafed, but I didn’t think the focus was there.”

Izzo mentioned how he felt some players were “trying to impress him” by making fancy plays in practice Thursday, but for Izzo, it all boils down to focus.

"Maybe our weakest strength right now is the ability to stay focused for an extended period of time,” Izzo said. “There were times in that (Kansas) game where our defense was so good just because we were in the right spots and there were times where we kind of lost concentration and that’s one area that we need to work on. That’s kind of non-basketball but very important to basketball.”

Eron Harris, the heralded West Virginia transfer, has struggled mightily this season. After not performing in game action for over a year, it will take some time for the rust to wear off. Izzo wants to get him going, as he said that is a priority for him, and his teammates, such as senior captain Matt Costello, are doing their best for the junior Harris.

“Just support him,” Costello said. "We all know the talent he has in that body of his. It’s just getting him comfortable with the rotation and getting him to play well.”

The one bright spot which came out of MSU’s Thursday practice was Marvin Clark Jr, the sophomore who has yet to suit up for the Spartans this season. Izzo said he expects Clark Jr. to be ready to go sometime next week, but for his teammates, it was nice for them to see him back participating.

“He looked good,” MSU senior captain Denzel Valentine said. “He doesn’t have his legs fully, but he made a couple shots and a couple plays during practice. It’s good to have him back.”

The competition level may take a step down, but Valentine has his eyes set on his next opponent, and expects the team to follow his lead.

"I’m looking forward to playing Friday, just moving on,” Valentine said. “It’s going to be a tough one Friday, because natural nature of winning a big (game) like that is to relax. I’m anxious to see how we are going to respond.”

As for the relatively unknown Arkansas Pine-Bluff, the Golden Lions, out of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, they sit at 1-1 on the season, winning a thriller over Seattle to open the season and falling to Oklahoma State on the road by 14. They are led by guard Jovaughn Love, who leads the team with 18 points per contest.

“Pine-Bluff, they are different than last year,” Izzo said. "They got two junior college players, they’re bigger, and they still shoot it. They take shots from everywhere and they play almost all zone. We haven’t faced really any zone yet. We are going to have to move the ball without turning over and the shot clock, that’ll be interesting to see how we do against the zone.”

Costello had 15 points the last time these two teams met, with the Spartans coming out on top 82-55.

Share and discuss “Focus key for MSU basketball heading into Arkansas-Pine Bluff contest” on social media.