East Lansing Film Festival kicks off

<p>East Lansing Film Festival logo, courtesy.&nbsp;</p>

East Lansing Film Festival logo, courtesy. 

The 18th annual East Lansing Film Festival kicked off last night with a showing of the mystery-thriller "Uncle John" at 7:30 p.m. inside Studio C!. The festival will continue with a variety of showings of films at Studio C! as well as at Wells Hall on MSU's campus. The festival runs until Nov. 12 with student ticket prices at $7 for film showings at Studio C! and $3 at Wells Hall.

Director Susan Woods said the film festival gives students the opportunity to come to a "world class" film festival and see films they otherwise wouldn't normally see.

"This is a one time opportunity to see films they would never see otherwise. See the directors and listen to how they were made and be with other people who love films," Woods said. "It’s just a great experience in a festive setting and it is cheap as dirt."

Film festival volunteers Clay Conover, a student at East Lansing High School, and Cheryl Leece, of East Lansing, agreed the film festival is an opportunity to see films that wouldn't normally make it to the big screen.

Edd Benda, Director of Superior, said Michigan audiences will leave his film with a sense of adventure and pride.

“It’s a Michigan film and this is an incredible Michigan film festival," Benda said. "It was made right here in Michigan and we know that Michigan audiences will appreciate it just as much if not more than everybody we have had a chance to show it to and East Lansing Film Fest is one of the best places to do that.”

Superior will be available at Wells Hall at 9 p.m. on Nov. 6 and is about two best friends in the summer of 1969 who go on a 1,300 mile bike ride around Lake Superior.

The film is inspired by true events and is based off the actions of Benda's uncle Carl and his uncle's cousin who took on the 1,300 mile bike ride in the summer of 1971. The film premiered on June 5 at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California.

The festival will be also host special, free viewings this year.

On Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. students can watch (313) Choices at no cost inside Wells Halls.

(313) Choices is a "landmark collaboration" between students of the MSU Theatre Department and the Media Sandbox, directed by former MSU basketball player Keenan Wetzel. 

Share and discuss “East Lansing Film Festival kicks off ” on social media.