Dirty Dancing musical makes stop at Wharton Center

<p>Gillian Abbott (Baby) and Christopher Tierney (Johnny) in the North American tour of&nbsp;DIRTY DANCING – THE CLASSIC STORY ON STAGE.&nbsp;</p>

Gillian Abbott (Baby) and Christopher Tierney (Johnny) in the North American tour of DIRTY DANCING – THE CLASSIC STORY ON STAGE. 

The classic film Dirty Dancing has come to life on the Wharton Center for Performing Arts stage in the form of a live musical.

The cast has been on a North American tour and this will be the second time they come to Michigan and the first time they will perform in East Lansing.

The State News got the chance to sit down with Ryan Jesse, who plays Neil Kellerman, to learn more about the musical and the tour. 

The State News: Coming to East Lansing, what are you hoping for?

Ryan Jesse: We’re hoping to have a large receptive audience that’s excited to watch the show and see the classic story that they know so well from the movie. We also have a whole 30 percent of the show is new material and has 20 new scenes. So we hope that they will fondly remember the movie they’re watching on the stage, but also embrace and learn from the new material that we have to share.

TSN: How has the tour been?

RJ: The tour has been fantastic — we’ve been to some really fun locations and we’ve had some great audiences.

TSN: What are some fun scenes to preform?

RJ: I play Neil Kellerman, he’s the grandson of the owner of the resort where the show takes place. There’s a group number where Penny and Johnny are dancing a big exotic large grand Mambo in a group environment. I have a lot of fun dancing poorly over in the corner, not realizing that they’re taking up the dance floor. It’s a whole lot of fun because I dance with Baby in that moment and she’s a lot of fun.

TSN: Any last thoughts?

RJ: I would say come check it out; it’s a show that sort of transcends the generations. It’s a show for everybody, everybody can come see it, enjoy it and have a nice time. We see grandparents bringing their grandchildren, we see three different generations here and everybody has a nice time.

Dirty Dancing is currently at the Wharton Center for Performing Arts and will run through Nov. 15. Tickets are still available to see the show.

Share and discuss “Dirty Dancing musical makes stop at Wharton Center ” on social media.