ASMSU to support national 'It's On Us' campaign

<p>Freshman education Geordan Bader makes the pledge to stand against sexual assault Nov. 17, 2014, at the rock on Farm Lane. Phi Kappa Psi asked people to sign their names on the rock as a way to bring awareness to the "It's On Us" campaign against sexual assault. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Freshman education Geordan Bader makes the pledge to stand against sexual assault Nov. 17, 2014, at the rock on Farm Lane. Phi Kappa Psi asked people to sign their names on the rock as a way to bring awareness to the "It's On Us" campaign against sexual assault. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, will continue their support for the national It’s On Us campaign throughout the entire academic year.

The plan for the group is to do something related to sexual assault awareness every month of the academic year.

ASMSU will host the It’s On Us week of action beginning Nov. 9 through Nov. 14. The week will include a variety of activities to keep sexual assault and consent in the conversation of students.

Domonique Clemons, president of ASMSU and public policy senior, said MSU and ASMSU will be among many other colleges taking part in the week of action. 

Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., ASMSU plans to paint The Rock on Farm Lane and pass out information regarding It’s On Us to students. In addition to t-shirts and stickers, students can also sign the Rock.

Tuesday, ASMSU will Dorm Storm all of the five neighborhoods, passing out information and goodie bags to students willing to learn more and take the pledge.

Thursday, there will be a roundtable discussion for students in the ASMSU conference from at 5:30 p.m. Students are welcome to come and discuss MSU’s current state with sexual assault and where improvement is needed.

Throughout the entire week, ASMSU will have a greek pledge drive going on, the fraternity or sorority which gets the most students to take the It’s On Us pledge will get a donation from ASMSU, $1,000 for their philanthropy and $1,000 for MSU Safe Place in their name.

Clemons said the greek participation will be incentivized by the donation making more and more of the student body take the pledge

ASMSU is trying to get the message out there when it comes to sexual assault and the It’s On Us campaign.

Clemons said students should expect to see It’s On Us stickers and a variety of materials pertaining to sexual assault education all week. 

"Fundamentally, it has to be something that you can't legislate," President Lou Anna K. Simon said on sexual assault. "You have to have a community that really supports the principles behind no excuses and It's On Us and the by stander intervention becomes really critical."

Simon said student government intervention through ASMSU and the Council of Graduate Students is essential to gain a response from the student body.

Share and discuss “ASMSU to support national 'It's On Us' campaign” on social media.