The Amazing Spartan Race to take place this Saturday

This Saturday, East Lansing will be transformed into an intense obstacle course known as The Amazing Spartan Race

Based off of CBS’s Amazing Race, participants compete in a 5k run around camus, while enduring obstacles, receiving clues and competing with a partner.

The course is set to begin at 11 a.m. on Munn Field, with a standard cost of $20 per participant. Besides donating money to support a good cause, and earning bragging rights, participants also have an incentive to win a large variation for prizes. 

The winning team will receive a gift basket including a signed MSU lacrosse jersey, MSU apparel and a signed hat from professional golfer Jordan Spieth. Gift cards are also given to the duo decked out in the most green and white.

The money raised through the race is donated to The Wounded Warriors Project, an organization that began with the sole purpose of offering programs and support to wounded veterans shortly after the events of Sept. 11, 2001. 

The Project now works with clubs such as Spartans Rebuilding Michigan or SRM. SRM is the newest service-based student organization at MSU, bringing students together to make a positive impact on the community.

Carla Boffa, an ambassador for The Wounded Warrior Project, works to spread the importance of supporting our troops. 

“We honestly don’t realize how many heroes live right here in our community," Boffa said. "Just to put things in perspective, there are still many active soldiers working at MSU through the ROTC Program and I am honored to honor those that protect us."

Boffa also serves as a member of the SRA fundraising committee on campus, further underlining her passion to support the community. Although the race is student-led, hosting a 5k in East Lansing also enables members living in the city to come out and support the cause.

“This event could easily affect our community in a positive way," Boffa said. "It is amazing to watch those who have fought for our country to come home and shape the future. My team and I are working hard to make sure the event can change the lives of many."

Share and discuss “The Amazing Spartan Race to take place this Saturday” on social media.