Police respond to vandals, repeated thefts

<p>Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

Here are the police incidents for Oct. 16 after speaking with MSU police Sgt. Paul Kuchek.

Attempted vandalization of the Spartan Statue

The Spartan Statue was the victim of an attempted vandalism at 4:20 a.m. on Oct. 15. A group of individuals with a University of Michigan license plate rolled up to the statue, shouting profanities and blasting their fight song as a distraction. Someone then snuck and spray-painted the crescent shaped wall behind the statue with the block "M" and "Go Blue." The crime was listed as malicious destruction of property.

Repeated thefts

Over the past 30 days, individuals at the Berkowitz Basketball Complex have reported items being taken from lockers. Clothing including shoes, sweaters, T-shirts and headphones were reported stolen, totaling a $500 value. The office is typically unlocked so individuals can use it. There is video surveillance of the area that has not been reviewed yet, at which point MSU police will try to develop suspects. 

This does not represent every report taken by MSU police. For every incident's time and location, view MSU police's Clery Crime and Fire Log.

For the East Lansing Police Department, visit their crime map.

Due to the large number of crimes usually occurring during home games, individual reports are not detailed. For a total number of incidents on campus during home football games, visit this previous story from The State News.

For a more detailed view of major crimes on campus, check out The State News' crime tracker, updated most weekdays.

Share and discuss “Police respond to vandals, repeated thefts” on social media.