Muslim community at MSU prepares to celebrate their new year

As the week begins, MSU’s Muslim community is preparing to celebrate their new year — Muharram which, will begin this Tuesday, Oct. 13 and end Nov. 12.

Muharram, in the Muslim community, is the start of the Islamic new year, and is one of the four sanctified months in the Islamic calendar.

Some Muslim Americans choose to fast during this month, although fasting is not obligatory. Many Muslims engage in voluntary prayer, including evening prayer, during Muharram.

Human Biology sophomore Batoul Sadek, a member of the MSU Muslim Students’ Association, has celebrated Muharram for her entire life, and said the holiday is very important in her culture.

“Muharram is celebrated to commemorate the fallen Husayn Ibn Ali, and his companions,” Sadek said. “This holiday is very important because it commemorates very significant people. We use them as role models to how we should act, and to show how Ibn Ali and his men sacrificed everything for the sake of their religion.”

Sadek said there are many activities and and ways for members of the Muslim community to give back during the holiday.

“There’s a lot of activity that goes on in the Muslim community during Muharram,” Sadek said. “A lot more people are going to mosques and a lot of people pass out food and water, in the community, on his (Husayn Ibn Ali’s) behalf. It’s a very active time.”

Sadek said she hopes people will see the Muslim giving back and celebrating their holiday and it will reduce some of the bad stereotypes which are sometimes place on her people.

“A lot of times, on media outlets, they show extreme muslim activities, and these cause people to look down on Muslim holidays, such as Muharram,” Sadek said. “I feel that the students should go online to Muslim websites and learn as much as they can about the holiday and our culture, or come to MSA (Muslim Student Association) and learn as much as they can.”

The Muslim Students’ Association meets every other Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Ericksson Kiva.

Share and discuss “Muslim community at MSU prepares to celebrate their new year” on social media.