Students grapple with increased work loads

During the beginning of the school year, some students might simply want to tailgate and enjoy the last bit of decent weather before it takes a turn for the worse.

Some students, however, have noticed an increase in the intensity of the work early in the semester.

Applied engineering senior Sarah Niezabytowski has experienced the sudden change this semester, and was caught off guard by it.

“They started quizzes the second week, and that caught me off guard,” Niezabytowski said. “You’re kind of just getting into the material, and then the second week of class you have a quiz and you’re not really well aware of all the information and how the class is exactly set up yet.”

Unfortunately, Niezabytowski wasn’t the only student to go through this rough transition

Advertising freshman Katherine Harry was also caught off guard by the excess amount of work during her first month of college — despite her expectations that college work would be on a different level than high school work.

“It’s more than I expected,” Harry said. “Just as far as the amount of reading per week that we have to do. I wasn’t expecting that. I have quizzes and exams coming up this week, and I believe that it’s definitely a bit too early for all of that. I feel like we just got over the syllabus, and then all of a sudden we just get right into the course.”

Interdisciplinary studies junior Mackenzie Hinsberg says that her classes had syllabi, but they weren’t properly read over in class during syllabus week.

“In my classes, we had syllabuses but we didn’t even go over them” Hinsberg said. “It was basically just lecturing on the first day of class.”

Public policy senior Celestina Reyes also was taken aback by the level of work she encountered during her first few weeks back up at Michigan State.

In order to help students with heavy classloads, MSU offers a wide variety of resources, such as the Math Learning Center, or (MCL) and neighborhood engagement centers.

Math learning center (MLC) hours

Brody Square Rm 138

Monday - Thursday 7 - 9:30 p.m.

Holden Rm C133

Monday - Thursday 6 - 8:30 p.m.

Akers Rm 133

Monday - Thursday 6:30 - 9 p.m.

McDonel basement Rm 45

Monday - Thursday

7 - 9:30 p.m.

Union basement Rm 30

Monday - Thursday

5:45 - 8:15 p.m.

Wells Hall Rm C126A

Monday - Thursday

11: 20 a.m. - 4 p.m.

6:20 - 9:50 p.m.

Friday 11:20 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.

Sunday 5:10 - 8:40 p.m.-- 

Share and discuss “Students grapple with increased work loads” on social media.