MSU alumnus reflects on being chosen as Grand Marshal

<p>Courtesy of MSU Alumni Association</p>

Courtesy of MSU Alumni Association

MSU alumnus and Tony Award-winning composer William David Brohn was honored at the Homecoming parade on Friday with title of being this year’s Grand Marshal.

The Grand Marshal is an honorary position for a Spartan who has gone on to do great things.

The MSU Alumni Association chooses the Grand Marshal each year by nominating Spartan alumni that would be a good choice for Grand marshal and then they put it to a vote.

Brohn said he was surprised by the honor because it is unlikely for a musician to have an honor such as this one in the annual parade.

“When they called me, I was quite surprised because it was the last thing in the world that I expected, but I thought about it for a couple of minute and said 'yeah I’d love it,'” Brohn said. 

Brohn earned a degree in Music Theory in 1955 from College of Music. 

In 1996, Brohn was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts from MSU.

Some of the most notable Broadway shows he has arranged scores for and orchestrated include Ragtime Les Miserables, Mary Poppins, Wicked, Miss Saigon and others.

Brohn is not only an orchestrator, but also a philanthropist. 

The Spartan alumnus has donated a substantial amount of money to the Music Facilities Fund to renovate Cook Recital Hall in the Music Building.

Due to his involvement with the College of Music and being on the National Leadership Council, he has been able to come back to MSU every year for the past ten years. This visit was different because of his position as the Grand marshal in the parade.

"It's a mixture of joy and a feeling of responsibility," Brohn said. "When there's an invitation to come back, it's thrilling."

When he was asked about the things that he missed the most about MSU that he would be able to do this weekend, Brohn didn’t hesitate to say the football games.

“Well the football game will be (something I missed), the last time I went to one was when I was student,” Brohn said.

Share and discuss “MSU alumnus reflects on being chosen as Grand Marshal” on social media.