MSU celebrates 25 years of German reunification

This year marks the 25th anniversary of Germany’s reunification after the country’s division into the Democratic West and Communist East after World War II. To learn from the past and promote a better future MSU’s German Program held a roundtable discussion featuring several experts from MSU and other universities.

The event was intended to help expose students to the complexity of Germany's reunification. 

“The case of Germany is so unique, because it’s bringing back together countries that had really turned into two separate entities, there was not just the pure geographical separation between the two states but really a mental barrier in their minds” Baylor University professor Dr. Alex Holznienkemper said. 

Panel members believe exploring Germany’s reunification holds important lessons for today. 

“People had to come to some kind of agreement; how they would build infrastructure, what kind of currency, what kind of national themes would be prioritized in schools, and what kind of political structure they wanted to have — 25 years out we’re seeing those same kinds of questions on a different scale all across Europe” Johanna Schuster-Craig a German and global studies professor at MSU and panel member said.

Check out the video above to hear more of the panel members reflections!

Share and discuss “MSU celebrates 25 years of German reunification ” on social media.