Wide variety of tutoring options available to MSU students

<p>Mathematics education senior Dana Schrauben goes through a trigonometry problem with biochemistry and molecular biology sophomore Kelsey Ordway on Oct. 5, 2015 in the Math Learning Center in Brody Hall. Schrauben has been tutoring at the center for three years. </p>

Mathematics education senior Dana Schrauben goes through a trigonometry problem with biochemistry and molecular biology sophomore Kelsey Ordway on Oct. 5, 2015 in the Math Learning Center in Brody Hall. Schrauben has been tutoring at the center for three years.

Photo by Catherine Ferland | The State News

This is why Brody Neighborhood Engagement Center Director Kelly High McCord said it’s important to use the Engagement Center services early and often.

There are five Engagement Centers at MSU, located in Brody, the Union, McDonel Hall, Hubbard Hall and Holden Hall. The resources at these locations are endless.

The Engagement Centers offers academic support, health and wellness, residential assistance, and intercultural engagement.

“The most popular is the Math Learning Center (MLC),” McCord said.

Service

Location Time
Math Learning Center C126A Wells Hall
Brody Square Rm 138
Holden Rm C133
Akers Rm 133
McDonel Basement Rm 45
Union Basement Rm 30

Times for each location can be found here.
Learning Resource Center Rm. 202 Ernst Bessey Hall
Hubbard Hall Rm. 129
Holden Rm. C-132
McDonel Rm. 38
Brody Rm. 172-174
Union Rm. 40

Bessey Hall times Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. All other LRC's are open from 6:30 –9 p.m. and a complete list of tutoring options are available here.
Writing Center Main Library, First Floor of the West Wing
MSU Union, Rm. 41 on the Ground/Garden Level
River Trail – McDonel Hall, Rm. C105 Bessey Hall, Rm. 300Brody Hall, Rm. 159Holden Hall, Rm. C124

Hubbard Hall, Rm. 182B

Student-Athlete Support Services (SASS), Rm 128 Clara Bell Smith Center

For a complete list of hours for each location, click here

The Learning Center also offers help by appointment with reading skills, time management, study skills and test-taking strategies Monday and Tuesdays from 6 to 9 p.m. and Wednesdays from 2 to 9 p.m.The MSU Learning Center can be found in McDonel Hall and offers free walk-in tutoring for chemistry, math, statistics and physics Monday through Thursday from 6:30 to 9 p.m.Another useful resource is the Writing Center, in the River Trail Neighborhood can be found in McDonel Hall. The Writing Center offers one-on-one consultations to help students throughout the writing process, from brainstorming to final revising, according to the different Engagement Center services’ websites.

“Research (shows) that students use the Engagement Center six or more times over the course of the semester had a higher GPA than those who did not,” McCord said.

Other subjects that are available for tutoring within the Engagement Center are Chemistry 141, Political Science, History and Economics 201 and 202. 

The Engagement Centers also have health clinics and fitness classes available for students. 

Mccord stressed the use of the Engagement Centers are not just limited to students who live on campus, but they are also open to off-campus students. 

“The Engagement Centers are effective because they are right where students live,” McCord said. “Students do not have to hunt on campus to find resources that they need. They are available right where they live.” 

The Engagement Centers also have intercultural support which includes Multi-Racial Unity Living Experience, Black Caucus, Living in Great Harmony Together and the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities. 

“It is important to use the Engagement Center services early and often,” McCord said. “We are offering known support that works for students. The more time that you spend on an academic task, the better at that task you will be. We have been very strategic in figuring out what students need.” 

The Engagement Center also offers Neighborhood Success Stories to all MSU students. The Neighborhood Success series helps students succeed in certain areas. Session one began Oct. 5 in the Erickson Kiva, and the next one will be Monday, Oct 12, in the Erickson Kiva, room 103 Erickson. 

Share and discuss “Wide variety of tutoring options available to MSU students ” on social media.