5 things to know before MSU takes on Purdue

<p>Purdue freshman quarterback David Blough on Sept. 26, 2015 in the game against Bowling Green in West Lafayette, Ind.</p>

Purdue freshman quarterback David Blough on Sept. 26, 2015 in the game against Bowling Green in West Lafayette, Ind.

Photo by Photo courtesy of Purdue Athletics | The State News

Here are five things to know before the Spartans (4-0) face Purdue (1-3) in the 100th Homecoming football game at noon on Saturday.

MSU scoring streak is a school record

The Spartans have scored 30-plus points in 12 straight games, a school record which was previously held at eight by the teams of 1978 and 1979. The scoring streak is also the longest of any school in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision, according to a Spartan Athletics release. The Spartans scored 37 points against Western Michigan, 31 against Oregon, 35 against Air Force and 30 against Central Michigan.

The last time MSU has scored under 30 points was against Nebraska on Oct. 4, 2014 and the last time it has scored under 24 points was Nov. 30, 2013, according to the release.

The 66th gridiron meeting between MSU and Purdue

The game on Saturday will be the 66th meeting between MSU and Purdue. MSU leads the all-time series, 34-28-3, is 20-12 in games played at Spartan Stadium, and head coach Mark Dantonio is 6-0 against the Boilermakers, according to the release.

The Spartans defeated Purdue 45-31 at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind. in 2014. The last time Purdue has beat MSU was in 2006, 17-15, at Spartan Stadium and six of the two teams’ past 10 games have held a margin of 10 points or less, according to the release.

Connor Cook is the winningest Spartan quarterback of all-time

Senior quarterback Connor Cook is currently tied with former quarterback Kirk Cousins for the most wins by a starting quarterback in school history with 28. A win against Purdue would make him the outright leader.

Cook has a 90 percent win percentage as the Spartans starting quarterback and is 27-3 overall, (compared to Cousin’s record of 27-12), and is 16-1 against Big Ten schools. His 27 wins is currently tied with Stanford’s Kevin Hogan for most of any active NCAA FBS starting quarterback, according to the release.

MSU and Purdue have coaching connections

MSU wide receiver coach Terrence Samuel played at Purdue from 1991 to 1994.

“While at Purdue, Samuel was the recipient of the 1994 Kiwanis Citizenship Award, which is presented to a Boilermaker football player who excels most in the combined roles of player, student and community volunteer,” according to the release.

MSU co-offensive coordinator and tight end coach Jim Bollman and Purdue defensive backs coach Taver Johnson worked together with current Purdue head coach Darrell Hazell as assistants to Jim Tressel’s Ohio State University staff in 2007 to 2010, according to the release.

MSU and Purdue have tied three times

According to a Chicago Tribune archive article, on Nov. 8, 1941, MSU and Purdue tied 0 - 0 in a snowy game at West Lafayette, Ind. According to the article’s picture caption of the game, the Boilermakers had a chance to win in the fourth quarter when they intercepted a pass at the Spartans 26-yard line, but they fumbled the ball back to MSU. The Spartans were an independent team that season and finished 5-3-1.

In 1983, MSU and Purdue tied 29-29, at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind. MSU’s head coach at the time was George Perles and the 1983 record was 4-6-1.

In 1995, MSU and Purdue tied 35-35, again away at Purdue. Then-Purdue running back Corey Rogers ran in a touchdown with 1:46 remaining to tie the game, according to a USA Today archive article. Purdue then got the ball back, and “the Boilermakers (1-1-1, 0-0-1 Big Ten) got in position for a 47-yard field goal and Bobich’s kick had the distance, but narrowly missed left as time expired,” according to the article. 

Share and discuss “5 things to know before MSU takes on Purdue ” on social media.