Trustee candidate seeks to cap MSU tuition

<p>William Deary</p>

William Deary

William Deary, CEO and co-founder of Great Lakes Caring Home Health, announced his candidacy for the MSU Board of Trustees last week. Deary said he plans to work to cap MSU’s tuition and make college more affordable for students at MSU.

He said looking at the cost for middle class families who have supported the university for years and want to send children to MSU, paying for their children's tuition is all but affordable.

Deary attended MSU in '76 and MA '80. He said attending MSU was a privilege for his middle class family, as he had to work throughout his entire college career.

In 1994, Deary co-founded GLCHH with his wife, Cheri Lyn Deary. The company has gone on to become successful in the Midwest. Piling up accolades such as the Michigan Award of Excellence for Improving Care in the Home Health Setting by MPRO, Michigan’s Medicare Quality Improvement Organization, in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

“Almost 30 percent of last year's student class of about 8,000 were either from out-of-state or out-of-country and that’s particularly troublesome,” Deary said.

Deary said another issue he would work towards is making sure in-state students are preferentially considered when applying in order to better Michigan's future and keep future graduates in-state.

“They will be the next generation leaders of our state,” he said. 

Deary said his experience as a businessman will also bring a important perspective to the board.

"If we can go on the premise that Michigan State is a business and then from there how are businesses managed," Deary said. "Similarly, I think we need to sit down and look at the budget of Michigan State, look at how it is put together and then manage it like a business.

Deary said he wants MSU to become more efficient – starting with its budget. He said if families wish to send their kids to MSU, they should be able to afford it,

"At Michigan State, we want our middle class families to be able to afford this wish," Deary said. 

Deary currently sits on the Michigan Chamber of Commerce and was appointed to the Mackinac Island State Park Commission by Gov. Rick Snyder in 2013.

In 2016, MSU's Board will have two seats up for election, Dianne Byrum and Diann Woodard.

Share and discuss “Trustee candidate seeks to cap MSU tuition ” on social media.