Velvet Candy Store to have grand opening Saturday

<p>Joey Berakovich, son of the owners Erik and Trisha Berakovich makes a waffle cone July 19, 2015 at Velvet ~ A Candy Store on 507 E. Grand River Ave, the site which once housed InFlight, a smoke shop. Joshua Abraham/The State News</p>

Joey Berakovich, son of the owners Erik and Trisha Berakovich makes a waffle cone July 19, 2015 at Velvet ~ A Candy Store on 507 E. Grand River Ave, the site which once housed InFlight, a smoke shop. Joshua Abraham/The State News

Photo by Joshua Abraham | The State News

An official ribbon-cutting ceremony for the grand opening of Velvet A Candy Store will take place Saturday at 11 a.m. The store is located next to Bruegger's bagels at 507 E. Grand River Ave where InFlight smoke shop once was. Co-owners Erik and Trisha Berakovich as well as East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett are expected to say a few words at the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The store had what Erik Berakovich, an MSU alumnus, called a "soft opening" on July 18 and has been operating since. Free samples of fudge and ice cream are going to be served at the grand opening Saturday. 

Erik Berakovich said in July at the "soft opening" there was a possibility for a drawing for a get-away weekend at Mackinac Island as part of the grand opening of the store in addition to the free samples.

The store will serve various flavors of Mackinac Island fudge, coffee drinks, cupcakes, brownies, popcorn, cookies, candy and ice cream on Monday-Friday, 11:00 a.m.-10:30 p.m.; Saturday, 11:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.; and Sunday, noon-10 p.m.

“We are excited for a new adventure and ready to have a year-round store. We love the community and we are excited to see how we do," said Trisha Berakovich. 

Share and discuss “Velvet Candy Store to have grand opening Saturday ” on social media.