Students discuss the benefits of an alternative living situation on campus

Rent in East Lansing isn’t cheap, so many students turn to shared housing to get both a cheaper deal and an instant community.

Two very popular options are fraternities/sororities and Student Housing Cooperative (SHC).

Sigma Phi Epsilon is a fraternity, while Hedrick is part of the SHC.

Hedrick, located at 140 Collingwood, is one of 15 houses in the East Lansing area owned by the SHC, and it’s one of the three co-op houses nestled on Collingwood just North of campus.

The house has three levels, connected by brightly painted “rainbow stairs” and enlivened by the colorful murals that cover the walls of the house. The members grow plants both indoors and in an extensive garden. There is a common area between the adjacent co-ops, Miles Davis and Ferency, where members gather for bonfires and parties.

A five minute walk down Grand River brings you to the East Lansing chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The fraternity offers 32 of its 100+ members a place to live at 1148 Grand River Ave. and it acts as a hub of activity for the brothers at MSU.

The house is built around a spacious central area, barn-like, with enough room to play basketball or kick a soccer ball around. There are two floors and a deck that extends into the backyard which is on the banks of the Red Cedar River. Wings on each side of the house are reserved for living quarters.

Students from both houses love the communities they have found, but these are two groups of people that don’t see much intermingling.

Nonetheless, at the core of each is the desire for a community that supports and enriches its members, a community full of young people striving to succeed. 

To read more about student living situations, pick up The State News Housing Guide on Monday, October 5!

Share and discuss “Students discuss the benefits of an alternative living situation on campus ” on social media.