Tips for staying safe at tailgates, parties

People might think staying safe and having fun can’t be paired together. However, there are ways to be safe at tailgates while still having a good time.

Here are some tips from people around the community about how to stay safe during tailgates.

“If they’re under the age of 21, they’re not allowed to drink; it’s against the law. It doesn’t matter,” MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

Underage students can be charged with an MIP, or Minor in Possession, if they are found drinking or holding alcohol. The only exception to this is the Medical Amnesty Law, which allows students to call 911 to get help if they or a friend is intoxicated to the point of medical concern.

“Don’t let unknown strangers buy you drinks at the bar or give you drinks at a party because you don’t know what is in it,” East Lansing police Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth said.

He suggested the buddy system and encourages students to travel in groups.

“Arriving and leaving a party with friends is a good way to know someone is always keeping an eye on you or making sure you’re safe,” Wriggelsworth said.

Be aware of how much alcohol you intake during a period of time. Try to alternate between alcoholic drinks and water.

Taylor said she encourages students to eat before they drink, and not drink too much.

“The key is to not overdo it,” she said.

Vartan Muradov, owner of Royal Express Taxi, said he estimates that 70 to 80 percent of calls during the weekend nights are from students.

He said if a student is concerned about leaving his or her car somewhere overnight, his service can call another driver to follow the cab to their destination.

Royal Express can also show students parking lots to leave their cars overnight and set up a reservation have a taxi take them back to their cars in the morning.

“We try to do everything to prevent them from driving drunk and getting in an accident or getting ticketed,” Muradov said. “Priority for us is safety.”

Wriggelsworth said his number one tip for hosting a party is to take alcohol out of it.

“You gotta be in control of everyone at your party,” he said.

To avoid noise complaints, other possible citations and theft, Wriggelsworth said he suggests keeping the party small.

“If you’re gonna throw a party, you gotta have some control,” he said. “Lock your doors and windows. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity.”

No one of any age can drink while on the campus with the exception of football game days.

Taylor said it’s important for students to be aware of their rights and the possible consequences.

Students can review the alcohol and drug policy online. If violated, consequences vary from mandatory educational programs to suspension from MSU.

Share and discuss “Tips for staying safe at tailgates, parties ” on social media.