Ordinance to ban recreational use of roofs has yet to be discussed

<p>East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

The forming of a work group for discussing and making a recommendation to East Lansing City Council in regards to an ordinance that could ban the recreational use of roofs in East Lansing has yet to occur.

The ordinance was originally introduced during the June 23 work session. City Council then deferred action on the ordinance at its Aug. 4 meeting after holding a public hearing. Finally, City Council decided to form the work group to discuss the ordinance at its Aug. 18 work session.

“They are going to meet together, talk about the issue and then make recommendation to council about what council should do," Mayor Nathan Triplett said.

Triplett said he would like to see representatives from the East Lansing Police Department, student groups like ASMSU, property owners and those familiar with the city code come together to be part of the group, but it will come down to who is interested in being a part of it.

The city manager's office will oversee the forming of the group, Triplett said.

Megan Clark, assistant to the city manager, said there is still no timeline for when the group will be formed and start meeting, but said it is likely the University Student Commission will be a part of the group. The commission doesn't start meeting until October and Clark said any action, including the roof ordinance, will likely be delayed until after the commission's first meeting.

Clark said the group will look at the potential problems and issues that come with recreational use of roofs to determine if the city wants or needs the ordinance. If it was deemed necessary, Clark said the group would then look at how to word the ordinance. 

Share and discuss “Ordinance to ban recreational use of roofs has yet to be discussed ” on social media.