Peace March set to take place Sunday at Potter Park Zoo

<p>Potter Park Zoo, located at 1301 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Lansing, MI. Photo by: Vikram Mandelia</p>

Potter Park Zoo, located at 1301 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Lansing, MI. Photo by: Vikram Mandelia

A Peace March commemorating International Peace Day is set to take place on Sunday, Sept. 27 at the Potter Park Zoo.

The event is hosted by the Greater Lansing United Nations Association or GLUNA, in collaboration with many other MSU associated organizations, and local businesses.

The March begins at 2:00 p.m. at the “Tiger’s Den” Pavilion and the day’s activities conclude at 4:00 p.m. Activities at the event include planting a peace pole, yoga, and refreshments.

"I think the march represents the re-emergence of the peace movement in the Mid-Michigan area. "

“I think the march represents the re-emergence of the peace movement in the Mid-Michigan area," emeritus professor of journalism Jim Detjen said.

Detjen said this is the first Peace March to be held at the Potter Park Zoo, and said he hopes to see the march become an annual event that will continue to grow over the years.

The event is sponsored by 15 different organizations, including three MSU departments — the departments of Justice and Peace, Outreach and Engagement and International Studies and Program.

Lynn Bartley, president of GLUNA, said every year her organization holds an event to commemorate International Peace Day. This year, she said the organization wanted to collaborate with others and hold a more community oriented event outdoors.

“Every year we commemorate the International Peace Day on the 21st, we always have an event around that date,” Bartley said. 

“Last year we had an event with speakers, skyped with a United Nations Peacekeeper. This year, we wanted to do an event outdoors, include people of all different ages and have a more physical event," she said.

Along with planting a Peace Pole, the event will also include a performance during the march by an MSU Residential College of Arts and Humanities (RCAH) A Capella group. There will also be around 200 slices of pie donated by the Grand Traverse Pie Company.

Detjen said he felt the march was a good way to raise awareness in the community of many different important issues.

“[It’s] Important to raise public awareness and interest in peace and working to have a more peaceful world, fewer conflicts, less wars. All issues are related – climate change, environmental problems, all of these issues are important. Pope Francis is coming to America – timing is good to hold a Peace March.”

For more event details and a complete listing of event sponsors, visit http://gluna.org/.

Share and discuss “Peace March set to take place Sunday at Potter Park Zoo” on social media.