Students raise awareness for MY Consent Day at The Rock

<p>Communication junior Lindsey Wyble, left, and neuroscience senior Olivier Kayiranga talk with no preference freshman Tiara Blair, center, on Sept. 22, 2015 at the rock on Farm Lane. Wyble and Kayiranga are members of the sexual assault crisis intervention team which is a student advocate organization on campus. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Communication junior Lindsey Wyble, left, and neuroscience senior Olivier Kayiranga talk with no preference freshman Tiara Blair, center, on Sept. 22, 2015 at the rock on Farm Lane. Wyble and Kayiranga are members of the sexual assault crisis intervention team which is a student advocate organization on campus. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

On Sept. 22, MSU’s Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention Team, or SACI, partnered with the Michigan Organization on Adolescent Sexual Health, or MOASH, to bring MY Consent Day to campus.

MY (Michigan Youth) Consent day is a state wide awareness campaign to encourage sexual health within youth.

“We’re hosting this to start a conversation on Michigan State’s campus about consent and trying to encourage a culture of consent,” neuroscience senior and the political outreach chair of SACI, Mariah Hall said.

Almost all day, members from SACI stood by the rock starting conversations with students about consent. Students wrote what they thought consent meant on a white board and then took their picture with it.

“Consent to me is verbally giving my permission,” media and information freshman Shanice Pinson said. “It’s just one of those things you’re supposed to know.”

Students filled in the the sentence, “Consent to me means…” with words such as verbal, mutual, and sober.

This is the second annual MY Consent Day but a first for MSU. A recent survey conducted by the Association of American Universities revealed that one in four undergraduates who took the survey at MSU, experienced any form of sexual assault.

“Especially with all the recent news surrounding sexual assault on Michigan State’s campus, we’re really trying to get to the bottom of it and see what we can do, as students, to encourage consent,” Hall said.

SACI is a registered student organization for educational outreach on sexual health and assault. All members are trained crisis advocates.

Psychology senior and secretary for SACI Mira Friedman said sexual assault isn't just a problem at MSU, it's a problem worldwide and the group is trying to understand the problem and be part of the solution.

“Unwrapping myths about what consent is and what rape is in general is going to help this problem,” Friedman said.

Share and discuss “Students raise awareness for MY Consent Day at The Rock ” on social media.