Med students travel to South America for mission trip

<p></p>

Photo by Kurt Stepnitz | The State News

Extreme humidity, language barriers and several thousand sick patients waiting to be seen — this was the daily situation of the 40 participants of the Medical Mission Peru.

Passion for medicine brought several College of Osteopathic Medicine students to South America in the beginning of August.

Since 2009, the group of young medical students, doctors and residents have set out for a three-week trek in order to bring medical assistance to people in parts of Peru.

Before traveling, the group had to raise money for their medical supplies and equipment that would be put to work at the clinics in Peru.

David Mansour, second year osteopathic medicine student, said the group raised $30,000 for their mission trip and ultimately reached their goal.

Upon arriving and starting work, the team set up their medical clinic in an old military building while in Iquitos, Peru. Throughout their time in Iquitos, the College of Osteopathic Medicine mission saw thousands of people for a variety of medical issues.

“These people waited from four, five o’clock in the morning, just to see a doctor,” Mansour said. He said everyone worked from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day at the clinic.

“We set up family medicine, internal medicine, OB/GYN, we brought a dentist with us, and a whole bunch of pediatricians,” Elise Craig, third year osteopathic medicine student, said.

After working in Peru, they moved on to a boat clinic going out onto the Amazon River. The team made stops at communities along the river.

“We pulled up to all these distant places, and they definitely don’t have access to medical care, and we brought everyone on board,” Mansour said.

The medical mission was able to help thousands of people and give them medications that they normally would have never had.

Mansour said he helped several people who were being treated for diseases that are rarely considered a threat in the U.S. because of the successful health care system.

“We had a guy that had terrible Shingles and in the U.S. we have a vaccine and they can clear it up,” Craig said.

The College of Osteopathic Medicine's medical mission has been going abroad for seven years, making a significant difference for deprived individuals. The group supplys basic human needs and medical awareness for the surrounding areas in Peru.

“Not only are we treating them for what they have, but we're also really focusing on educating them,” Craig said.

Through the opportunities provided abroad, students are able to bring what they have learned out of the classroom and into the world.

“And even for physicians, they get to see parts of medicine that you don’t see in the United States,” Mansour said.

Share and discuss “Med students travel to South America for mission trip ” on social media.