New sushi restaurant Kasutamu holds soft opening, aims to be 'Conrad's of Sushi'

Kasutamu, a new sushi restaurant, opened its doors to East Lansing residents for its "soft opening" on Sept. 25. The restaurant is located at 245 Ann St., the former site of Firehouse Subs which closed over the summer.

Charlie Hoang, partial owner, manager and consultant for Kasutamu, said his restaurant will be unique in a number of different ways. Customers of Kasutamu will build their own rolls and be able to pick exactly what ingredients they want.

“We are one of the only places that will allow you to build your own roll," Hoang said. "You make it instead of the sushi chef. You aren’t rolling it, but you are putting everything in it.”

Less syrup and sugar as well as using locally-sourced ingredients as much as possible will make Kasutamu a healthier sushi option, Hoang said. Hoang also said Kasutamu will be cheaper than most sushi restaurants.

"I want to be the place that everybody can eat at," Hoang said. "We have high quality ingredients, but a cheaper price point that everybody can afford."

The restaurant will offer late-night hours and operate Monday through Wednesday 11 a.m. until 10 p.m., Thursday through Saturday 11 a.m. until 3 a.m. and Sunday noon until 10 p.m.

“We are excited to serve people late nights and meet a new crowd," Eddie Lopez, a sushi chef at Kasutamu, said. 

"I am sure we will meet some interesting people."

Hoang said that with the restaurant being located in the "heart of East Lansing" the goal is to provide customers with a fun atmosphere.

"We want to be like the Conrad’s of sushi, but not so dirty and trashy though."

“We want to be like the Conrad’s of sushi, but not so dirty and trashy though," Hoang said. "A little bit more upscale, but basically the Conrad’s of sushi.”

Share and discuss “New sushi restaurant Kasutamu holds soft opening, aims to be 'Conrad's of Sushi' ” on social media.