Tips for surviving college as a new international student

<p>International students make their way to different shuttles on Aug. 22, 2015, in front of Akers Hall. International move-in consisted of multiple Michigan Flyer buses dropping students off from the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport to Akers Hall. Students were then shuttled to their individual dorms. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

International students make their way to different shuttles on Aug. 22, 2015, in front of Akers Hall. International move-in consisted of multiple Michigan Flyer buses dropping students off from the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport to Akers Hall. Students were then shuttled to their individual dorms. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Imagine traveling thousands of miles across the world from your home to a place that has a different culture than you.

This may be hard to imagine for most people, but this is the reality for many international students. Often times it is difficult for international students to find their place on campus.

The State News compiled a list of tips for international students to use to help them adapt to life as a college student in a new country.

Don’t be shy about making pronunciation mistakes.

Everyone is human and we all make mistakes, as cliché as it sounds. The only way to improve your speaking is by taking the time out to practice.

“If they want to practice their English with a composition buddy or a class, they should definitely check out the Volunteer English Tutoring Program,” said Grace Chee, a family and child ecology doctoral student.

Use the resources that MSU has to offer.

There are engagement centers in every neighborhood on campus that offer a lot of resources to help students.

For example, the Math Learning Center, The Writing Center and the Learning Resource Centers and Student Health Clinics in the neighborhoods. These are available to help students with their academics along with being mentally and physically healthy.

The Office for International Students and Scholars is another resource for international students to use regarding all things that apply to international students.

Join a student organization.

Finding a niche at MSU helps students to meet new people who share similar interests. MSU offers more than 700 different student organizations for students to join. The Department of Student Life has a directory of registered student organizations.

Seek out help from professors or teaching assistants.

Let's face it – talking to professors can sometimes be intimidating for students. This can be especially hard for international students when there is a language barrier. If reaching out to a professor is difficult, teaching assistants are also an option.

“TA’s are very willing to help you if you really show that you need the help, and it may be better to talk to the TA vs. talking to the professor," Jennifer Royston, a doctoral student and TA in the English department, said.

Explore MSU’s campus.

There are a lot of activities to do in the downtown East Lansing area. Exploring campus will also give you an idea of where everything is, including how to get to your classes. MSU has compiled its own list of places and activities to visit for people unfamiliar to the area.

Figure out your living situation for next year early.

Whether you stay on-campus or off-campus, figuring out where you want to live for the next school year can be overwhelming.

"I wish I knew about the living environment around the campus, such as apartments, housing situations and when will be a good time to sign up for next year living situation," psychology junior Colie Jin said.

There are many housing options at MSU and in the East Lansing area. In order to find the perfect one, students should do their own research based on their budget and the location they would like to be in.

If you are planning on staying on campus, the sign-up process starts as early as October. If you are staying off-campus the dates to begin signing up vary.

Find a group of friends that you can call your family.

Being homesick is common, almost every college student has gone through it. For international students, this can be difficult to deal with, especially when traveling home isn't always an option. Finding a group of friends that have a good impact on you will be beneficial in the long run.

The Counseling Center has people whom students can talk to if they are feeling alone. Olin Health Center also offers psychiatric appointments by referral.

Have fun!

School is definitely a priority but taking some time out for yourself is also important. With that being said, go out and explore Michigan or even different places in the United States while you’re here. This is all part of making the most out of your undergraduate experience.

Share and discuss “Tips for surviving college as a new international student ” on social media.