East Lansing floodings not a sign of dysfunctional sewer system

Despite heavy downfalls plaguing city sewer systems in the past month, East Lansing officials said there is nothing unusual about it. 

More than 3.6 inches of rain bombarded the city during the aforementioned week, and caused problems for both students and residents alike.

East Lansing Director of Public Works Scott House said the sewer system in East Lansing does not seem to hold as much water as it needed to during a period of heavy rainfall or flash floods. 

"In that type of event you’re exceeding the design capacity for the system, meaning that the pipe can only handle so much," House said. "The rest will sheet flow so that will typically seek low ground where it will pool or find an opening where it will convey through."

MSU Infrastructure Administrator Ron Lacasse mentioned detention basins play a major role in lessening the overall effect that a flood has on an area.

“In a lot of developments out here you will notice the detention basins, the depressed areas in the grass,” Lacasse said. “These spots look like they’re just there doing nothing, but they are actually designed to take care of heavy rain events and only discharge so much water from a site.”

House can not predict the future of wastewater management in East Lansing, but said resources will play a pivotal role.

Share and discuss “East Lansing floodings not a sign of dysfunctional sewer system ” on social media.