Graduate student balances love of science with activism

<p>Graduate student Charles Loelius poses for a portrait on Sept. 2, 2015, at the Cyclotron in East Lansing. Loelius is a physicist and the recording secretary for the Council of Graduate Students, COGS.</p>

Graduate student Charles Loelius poses for a portrait on Sept. 2, 2015, at the Cyclotron in East Lansing. Loelius is a physicist and the recording secretary for the Council of Graduate Students, COGS.

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For graduate student Charlie Loeliusthat’s the research he does everyday at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory located on campus.

Many students are puzzled by the Cyclotron. Last spring when an experiment went awry and the fire department was called, a conversation was started, one that had many students asking “what on Earth is a Cyclotron?” But Loelius works in it every day.

Loelius, originally from New Jersey, studied at Rutgers University for his undergrad, triple majoring in mathematics, physics and philosophy.

As a graduate student, Loelius focuses his professional interest on nuclear non-proliferation. There is an unwritten belief that most researchers at MSU do not have a life outside of their labs, but Loelius said differently.

In addition to his research and teaching, Loelius involves himself in social activism.

“I try to balance the research work I do with activism and work for the community,” Loelius said.

He said he is passionate about diversity and inclusion, ending sexual assault on and off campus and labor rights among other things.

“We need to make sure MSU isn’t like other colleges, it shouldn’t be making life difficult for survivors of sexual assault,”he said.

Loelius serves as the recording secretary for the Council of Graduate Students. As a member of the executive board, Loelius and his colleagues serve as the voice for more than 10,000 graduate and professional students.

Loelius said the COGS executive board is an amazing team that he’s proud to be a part of.

“My number one goal is almost universal,” Loelius said. “The improvement of the lives of people in our community, standing up for the marginalized and making sure people are safe and their well-being is prioritized in the community.”

He said COGS provides him with the platform to achieve his goals for such a diverse community.

During a meeting at The State News with the COGS executive board, Loelius’ colleagues joked about knowing a future Nobel Prize winner — taking note of Loelius’ intellectual abilities and nationally recognized research.

“My ultimate objective is always that I’m not really interested in credit or glory or anything of that nature,” Loelius said.

Loelius said he is looking forward to this year with COGS and to keep his goal with them always in the forefront of his mind.

“I’m not about the accolades, I’m about the action,” Loelius said.

Share and discuss “Graduate student balances love of science with activism ” on social media.