Change remains a constant in East Lansing's downtown business corridor

<p>The building on the corner of Grove Street and Albert Avenue that houses The Residences and HopCat June 23, 2015. Joshua Abraham/The State News</p>

The building on the corner of Grove Street and Albert Avenue that houses The Residences and HopCat June 23, 2015. Joshua Abraham/The State News

Photo by Joshua Abraham | The State News

The seasonal nature of clients is what makes East Lansing a unique community to operate a business in according to East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett. The effects of this were felt more than once over this past summer when popular businesses La BodegaMoe's Southwest Grill, Grand River Coffee and What Up Dawg?, closed. 

"A lot of the turnover we see is driven by lack of understanding or preparation for the seasonal nature of the market in East Lansing," said Triplett. 

Triplett also said businesses like Hopcat and Blackcat Bistro have found success through grasping the understanding of East Lansing's market and attracting different kinds of residents. 

This understanding or lack of understanding of the market in East Lansing has led to many changes in downtown over the past few years.  

Share and discuss “Change remains a constant in East Lansing's downtown business corridor” on social media.