Crowd-funding campaign seeks to revamp two popular East Lansing alleys

<p>Artist rendering of how the Grove Street alley would look after the mural project.&nbsp;</p>

Artist rendering of how the Grove Street alley would look after the mural project. 

The city of East Lansing and residents have come together to create a second crowd-funding campaign over the last month. This campaign, which will accept donations through a patronicity website that has yet to launch, plans to raise $45,000 in order to beautify two alleys in downtown East Lansing. 

The campaign will officially launch on Sept. 30. 

If the $45,000 is raised by Nov. 12 the Michigan Economic Development Corporation will match funds and the project will utilize a budget of $90,000 . 

The first alley which is planned to be revamped is located off Ann Street Plaza and is being referred to as the "Grove Street Alley" by city officials due to its close proximity to Grove Street. It is between Peppino’s Sports Grille and Spartan Spirits Liquor. 

The second alley is located off Grand River Avenue between the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau and the former Moe’s Southwest Grill and soon-to-be Jersey Mike’s Subs. It is being referred to as the "500 Block Alley".

Summer Minnick, a member of the East Lansing Planning Commission, said both alleys will feature significant art components with murals, decorative lighting, outdoor furniture and enhanced landscaping. Minnick said the alleys will be transformed into a place for residents to hang out and be a "unique asset" for the city. 

Mayor Nathan Triplett said he is supportive of the campaign.

“We are always looking for opportunities to add vitality to downtown East Lansing. Right now in those allies what you have basically is just that, a blank and bland alley," Triplett said. "This a way to really activate that space and make it a part of a vibrant downtown and it’s a way to do it that engages the community."

According to Amy Schusler, a community development specialist for the city of East Lansing, the mural planned for the 500 Block Alley will be painted collaboratively by senior citizens from East Lansing's Prime Time Senior Program and students from MacDonald Middle School. The mural has already been designed by an art teacher at the school. 

The alley off of Ann Street Plaza, will be done by a Michigan-based artist, although that artist has not been chosen yet according to Schusler. The city does however have a conceptual design of what they want to see which includes a mural to represent what people love about East Lansing. 

There will also be a kick-off event for the campaign at Ann Street Plaza on Oct. 7 with free food, games and guest speakers who will speak about the artist alley project. 

"You can really bring community together and also attract people to those areas and reinvigorate the downtown," Minnick said. "When you have great public spaces in your downtown you pull people to the downtown." 

Share and discuss “Crowd-funding campaign seeks to revamp two popular East Lansing alleys ” on social media.