Speed likely a factor in fatal parking lot crash

Investigations are underway to determine what led to the death of 69-year-old Lansing resident Marjorie Stine from a single-car crash in the parking lot of St. Thomas Aquinas Church the evening of Friday, July 24, in East Lansing.

East Lansing police Lt. Steve Gonzalez said drugs and alcohol do not appear to be a factor in the crash. However, he said it appears the speed of the vehicle is. 

According to an East Lansing police statement, police were dispatched to the scene at 6:17 p.m. on report of a motor vehicle accident.

Upon arrival to the scene it was discovered a van had struck a tree in the parking lot. All four of the occupants inside the vehicle sustained injuries while the deceased victim, Stine, died from her injuries, according to the statement. The other three occupants were then transported to Sparrow Hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

Gonzalez said investigators have begun interviewing the three survivors of the crash to determine the events which led to the crash as well as try to determine if the driver of the vehicle — a 43-year-old man from East Lansing — is at fault. The other two survivors of the crash are a 68-year-old man from East Lansing and a 71-year-old man from Lansing.

The occupants of the vehicle had no relation to the church, Gonzalez said.

Share and discuss “Speed likely a factor in fatal parking lot crash” on social media.