MSU police install public address towers on campus

MSU police announced Wednesday that eight new public address speaker towers are now operational across campus.

According to a statement, the speaker system will provide weather warning sirens and audible voice messages. The towers are placed in strategic areas around MSU's campus to provide the MSU community with information in the event of an emergency.

In addition to this, in conjunction with the monthly siren test performed in Ingham County, MSU police will also sound two audible messages to the MSU community on Aug. 1, 2015 at 1 p.m. The messages will be done before and after the siren test to provide MSU students, faculty, staff and visitors with information about the siren they just heard, the statement read.

According to the statement, events that might trigger an audible message include active violence involving a weapon, persons seen on campus with a gun, hazardous situations, information about evacuating or seeking shelter and similar incidents.

The speakers are another way MSU police can alert and notify the community of potential disasters and emergencies, the statement read, and can be used in conjunction with the Blackboard ConnectED alert and notification platform that sends phone, text and email messages.

Share and discuss “MSU police install public address towers on campus ” on social media.