Green and White days bring prospective students to campus

<p>Hannah Robar, MSU senior and Studio Arts and Global Studies major, leads a tour of high school students and parents July 22, 2015 along the Red Cedar River during Green and White Day. Ryan Kryska/The State News</p>

Hannah Robar, MSU senior and Studio Arts and Global Studies major, leads a tour of high school students and parents July 22, 2015 along the Red Cedar River during Green and White Day. Ryan Kryska/The State News

Photo by Ryan Kryska | The State News

The MSU Office of Admissions hosted the annual Green and White Day campus visits this week for prospective students. The programs were held on July 17, 20, 22 and 24. The programs are for students going into their senior year at high school.

Michael Kolar, the program’s coordinator and MSU assistant director of admissions, said the programs were open to the public based on who sent us ACT and SAT scores or any of our potential prospects.

“On a given day we get about 1200 to 1400 people on campus. Today we just happened to have roughly 1200 people here; 400 to 500 students with their parents. There are easily over 30 states represented here today,” Kolar said. “People come from all over the place. Given a day like today we could easily have over 40 percent of our attendees be from out of state. We have been advertising this for a couple of months.”

The high school students started their day with an admissions presentation and an undergraduate student panel, followed by a honors college presentation, a marching band presentation and two academic information sessions. The prospective students and their parents had the opportunity to explore campus on their own accord.

“It is kind of, for lack of better words, a Disney World concept. You know they are all here but everyone were looking at has different interests, they all wanna go to different colleges, they all wanna see different things when they are here. So we offer these three courtyards and they stop by and pick up things, walking in different spots,” Kolar said.

The three courtyards were located at Wells Hall, the Auditorium loop and near the Sparty Statue. The courtyards featured booths by Eat at State, Greater Lansing Visitors Bureau, Live On, MSU Federal Credit Union, Air Force ROTC, Broad Art Museum, MSU bikes, Army ROTC, Greek Life, Study Abroad and more.

The high school students also were able to see what a MSU dorm room looks like on their campus tour and they got a chance to walk through the main library.

“The parents crack me up and the students when they are excited, just seeing the change in their eyes as they walk around. You can tell they really like it. Especially how excited they get about residence halls,” Hannah Robar, MSU senior studying studio arts and global studies, said.

Robar was a tour guide for the future alumni association this past year and was working for the office of admissions at the Green and White Days.

“My favorite part is the questions people ask ...” Robar said as she was cut off mid sentence by a lost parent’s question.

“The stadium, people love seeing the stadium. They always wanna go inside but we can’t really take all of them in there. I love talking to alumni parents to, just to hear what things were like back then,” Robar said of what the students are most excited about. “That way guys!” She said to a student and parents looking at a map.

Rachel Moore, a senior at Goodrich High School and prospective Spartan, was among the students Robar toured.

“Two of my aunts and an uncle previously attended MSU and I currently have two cousins who go here. I want to look at the residential college of arts and humanities and i’m kind of all over the place. I want to do a little theater and i’ve also looked into marketing and advertising. I’m in national honor society, international thespian society, on an improv team and have done a lot of plays and stuff like that,” Moore said.

“I absolutely loved the information on theater performances especially broadway performances and the discounted tickets practically sold me. I didn’t really know much about State before coming here but I learned a lot of different things and really like it,” Moore said.

Kolar said Green and White Days take place before the students even apply to MSU.

“The application goes live here in another month. And all these students will be applying. We find out that easily over 80 to 85 percent of the attendees today apply. And for everyone who applies we yield at least one out of every two students who apply. This is a big day for us, in fact all four of these days are pretty big. We had over 1600 people sign up for one of these dates,” Kolar said......0.0

“There are a lot of things happening and it is kind of the concept that you need to be all things to everyone all the time. And we try to do that because everyone has so many interests here,” Kolar said.

Share and discuss “Green and White days bring prospective students to campus ” on social media.