Denzel Valentine and Pan Am basketball team headed to semi-finals

<p>Denzel Valentine attempts a layup in USA's 102-70 win over Puerto Rico. Photo courtesy of USA Basketball.</p>

Denzel Valentine attempts a layup in USA's 102-70 win over Puerto Rico. Photo courtesy of USA Basketball.

The Pan American USA men's basketball team is 2-1 heading into the semi finals after a 83-93 loss to Brazil on Thursday.

The team opened their Pan American Games run with an 85-62 win over Venezuela, the second game saw the team cruise to a 102-70 win over Puerto Rico, followed by the 83-93 loss to Brazil.

USA finished second in Group A and will meet host and Group B No. 1-seed Canada, who is 3-0, at 6:00 p.m. in one of today's two semifinal games. The game is scheduled to be broadcast live on ESPN2. Brazil, who is 3-0, will face Group B's No. 2 seed, Dominican Republic (1-2), at 1:30 p.m.

MSU senior Denzel Valentine has played sparingly so far, earning most of his minutes and all of his points against Puerto Rico in the team's second game. 

Through three games of play Valentine has played 24 total minutes, 17 of which he earned in the Puerto Rico game that saw him score all 15 of his total points as of now.

Share and discuss “Denzel Valentine and Pan Am basketball team headed to semi-finals” on social media.