Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Community celebrates country's history at Independence Day Parade

<p>Jayla Edwards, 12, Devin Burke, 9, and Dayvon Burke, 9, await the candy that is given out by the businesses and politicians represented in the parade July 4, 2015 in Lansing. When candy was thrown from a float, there is usually a group of excited children racing to claim their prize. Catherine Ferland/ The State News</p>

Jayla Edwards, 12, Devin Burke, 9, and Dayvon Burke, 9, await the candy that is given out by the businesses and politicians represented in the parade July 4, 2015 in Lansing. When candy was thrown from a float, there is usually a group of excited children racing to claim their prize. Catherine Ferland/ The State News

Photo by Catherine Ferland | The State News

On the Fourth of July, many people from Lansing, East Lansing and the surrounding areas gathered near the State Capitol Building to watch the annual parade.

There were 59 different companies and many people from the area that participated in the parade — the result of an effort to bring locals and businesses together in patriotic celebration, said Desiree’ Slaughter, an intern for Lansing's Parks and Recreations department.

“We had a great turnout,” Slaughter said. “Everybody comes out and celebrates the holiday together. It makes Lansing one unified community, (it) keeps people engaged and keeps people happy. We want them to be part of this.”

At the parade, candy was thrown from the floats and children scrambled to gather it.

"Even though the candies were going too fast, they enjoyed it," Lansing resident Karolyn Pull said, smiling at her son. "This is his first time here.”

Not only East Lansing and Lansing residents brought their families to the parade, but also residents from neighboring cities came to celebrate and support the parade.

“The weather was nice," Albion resident Michael Thomas said." We had a great time here."

There were also some international residents from East Lansing watching the parade. 

“It’s a different cultural and holiday experience for me," said Lu Zhang, an assistant professor in the School of Hospitality Business at MSU. 

Her friend, Song Nan, a former University Club of Michigan State University employee, said, “Patriotism is different here from my country, China. Here it is not that official, but you can feel the passion of participating in such an event actively. But in China, we don’t have such a parade, except if it was organized by the governmental officials.”

Lansing resident Linda Lee Tarver said she goes to the parade with her husband, the owner of Clint’s Hotdog Cart, every year. She said this year is more patriotic and focused on veterans.

Tarver said the parade is a significant event for the community. 

“It’s an opportunity for the community to come out and celebrate our independence," she said. "It also reminds us about the flag, especially, and what (the flag) means.”

Share and discuss “Community celebrates country's history at Independence Day Parade” on social media.