Red Cedar Community Association upset after Board of Trustees approves student housing

The MSU Board of Trustees approved the State Police Post Redevelopment project at its June 17 meeting despite lingering concerns from residents of adjacent neighborhoods and city councilmembers. The project will take place across Harrison Road from Breslin Center parking and includes the building of four-story structures for student living less than 60 feet from the backyards of residential homes on Marigold Avenue.

Councilmembers discussed the issues of tailgating and increased traffic through the residential area at the city council meeting June 16.

“How would administrators at MSU feel if there was barbecuing and partying and celebrating as dense as tailgating is right at the end of their backyard?,” said councilmember Kathleen Boyle.

Many of the residents bought the homes prior to the closing of the of state police headquarters according to councilmember Ruth Beier. As Beier said during the meeting, instead of a police presence in their backyard, residents have a four-story party. Residents of the neighborhood and representatives from the Red Cedar Community Association were at the board of trustees meeting. Ruth Stump, the president of the association, spoke on the issue.

“Apparently our neighborhood is expected to accept what we find unacceptable, but we believe that better designs are possible if MSU is willing to work to find them,” Stump said during public participation before the project was approved. After the approval many residents of the Red Cedar Neighborhood and representatives of the association, including Stump, left mid-meeting.

Liz Schweitzer, board member of the association and former mayor of East Lansing, said disappointment that not a single trustee made any comments or asked any questions regarding the association’s concerns was felt throughout, but the approval of the project came as no surprise. Schweitzer is hopeful concerns can be addressed going forward.

Vennie Gore, vice president for Auxiliary Enterprise at MSU, said communication with residents will occur throughout the construction process. The university will also ensure residents are aware of hours of construction for the project.

Gore said the university has looked at ways to mitigate the concerns of the residents in adjacent areas, but also must keep costs down in order to ensure a reasonable rental rate will be available for students in the future structures.

The university plans to create a buffer zone between structures and residential area using landscaping. It will also continue to reserve the tailgating area for donors to the athletic department only, who according to Gore are not your typical rowdy or loud tailgaters. 

Share and discuss “Red Cedar Community Association upset after Board of Trustees approves student housing ” on social media.