VIDEO: Open Mic Night brings entertainment to downtown E.L.

The summer event, 3rd Wednesday Open Mic Night, began Wednesday night at the Ann Street Plaza in Downtown East Lansing. The upcoming open mic nights will be July 15, 2015, and August 19, 2015, from 7 to 9 p.m.

MSU alumnus Tim Ott spectated Wednesday after hearing the music from afar. Ott said he plans to come back in July with his brother who plays guitar. 

“(The audience) will laugh (their) butts off," he said. "Yeah, you will not want to miss this."

Among those who performed Wednesday was East Lansing resident Lee Abramson, who was there with his friend, Lansing resident Andrew Brewer Jr.

Abramson, who has ALS, uses a speech synthesis software, ModelTalker, to put his voice into electronica music, said Brewer.

Abramson sang “The Star Spangled Banner” and a song from his album, “Abrahmsonium.” Six-year-old Sofia Robinson-Pelosi gave her best tap-dance in front of the watching crowd while Abramson sang his second song.

Abramson and Brewer said they would be back to perform in July.

MSU athletic trainer, Salina Halliday, played her acoustic guitar and sang a rendition of “Seven Nation Army” by The White Stripes.

The public is welcome to perform solo or group acts with or without instruments. Local musician and MSU alumnus, Jen Sygit, hosted the event and will continue to do so in July and August.

Open mic night began last year and approximately 150 to 200 people attended each event, said Amy Schlusler, community development specialist II for the Department of Planning, Building and Development. 

Schlusler said the East Lansing Downtown Management Board sponsors open mic night and the board voted unanimously in favor of the sponsorship at its May 20 marketing committee meeting.

“The city as a whole likes to find ways to engage residents. Anyone can come down and share their talents,” she said.

Share and discuss “VIDEO: Open Mic Night brings entertainment to downtown E.L.” on social media.