MSU History professor studies low Women's World Cup coverage

Team USA began its 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup campaign with a 3-1 victory over Australia Monday night, but viewership for the cup was not nearly as high as it was for the men’s world cup just last summer. Team USA’s opener, which aired on Fox, only drew 3.3 million Americans. Eleven million Americans tuned into ESPN last summer to watch team USA men’s opener against Ghana. 

Locally, the cup is not drawing much attention.

Of seven East Lansing bars and restaurants contacted, not one was having any kind of specials or viewing parties for Monday night’s game against Australia. The list of businesses contacted includes Buffalo Wild Wings, Reno’s Sports Bar and Grill and Crunchy’s. Peter Alegi, a history professor at MSU and author of "Laduma! Soccer, Politics and Society in South Africa," said that throughout the United States and worldwide the women’s cup is not nearly as big as the men’s and believes this to be due to three reasons. 

The first reason Alegi cited was media coverage.

“How can people get excited about the women’s world cup of soccer, despite the fact that the Americans are among the top teams, if the game is so seldom covered by the same outlets that people go to for men’s sports?," Alegi said. 

The next issue Alegi said was a detriment to viewership of the women’s world cup is sponsors not getting involved. 

“You know that a company like Budweiser is sponsoring the men’s world cup because it’s all over the place, but they don’t seem to be as invested. They aren’t putting as much money into supporting the women’s game and I think that makes it difficult to generate buzz and excitement.”

Finally Alegi said the culture of sports is still very male dominated in terms of who watches and consumes athletic events. All things considered, Alegi still believes success of team USA could bring excitement to this summer’s world cup.

“You might see those bar specials and you might see those people dressing in the red, white and blue and waving the flag and doing the patriotic face paint if team USA performs the way they are capable of,” said Alegi.

Team USA is currently ranked second internationally by FIFA and built for a deep tournament run with the likes of superstar goalie Hope Solo in the net and forwards Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach up front. The success of team USA could do a lot for soccer and women's sports in our country according to MSU women's soccer coach Tom Saxton. 

Saxton said that if team USA can find success in this summer's cup it will bring momentum for soccer in our country and give female athletes more role models to look up to. 

Only time will tell if the Americans can overcome not only the competition they will face in the tournament, but the struggles of recognition. Team USA will take on Sweden Friday at 9 p.m. with its last group-stage game against Nigeria at 6 p.m. on June 16. Both games will air on Fox.

Share and discuss “MSU History professor studies low Women's World Cup coverage ” on social media.