EDITORIAL: City decriminalization a misstep for actual marijuana reform

On May 5th, Proposal 1 passed and marijuana was decriminalized in the city of East Lansing. The time is finally here and you can light up in the streets, right? Wrong.

The recent decriminalization has had no real effect except causing confusion among citizens because the packaging misrepresents the package.

“The new charter amendment restricts the city from from having any local regulations regarding the use, possession or transfer of less than 1 ounce of marijuana, or the transportation of the same amount, by a person at least 21 years old,” as stated in a previous State News article.

The State News Editorial Board believes that this recent amendment has mainly brought more false hope than anything. East Lansing could have been a real sign for change when it comes to more tolerant marijuana legislation, but the area still falls under state law. So the amendment essentially means nothing.

Except that the recent charter amendment will help East Lansing Police Department not take up resources.

Change at a local level can show legislators in the Capital that this is what the people want, however state legislation has several examples of more tolerant legislation within their state, but no pro-marijuana laws have been passed or really considered.

Ann Arbor, Michigan, is a among the examples of relaxed laws. Ann Arbor has some of the most lenient marijuana laws in the state and country. The possession of marijuana is considered a civil infraction with light fines, like a parking ticket.

The charter amendment is a muddled, unnecessary attempt for modification. The city should mirror Ann Arbor, if marijuana use and possession tolerance is what citizens want.

Essentially nothing changes for East Lansing under this charter, until marijuana is made legal or decriminalized at a state or federal level. Marijuana use in the United States will remain a hot button topic for years to come particularly if the legalization is put on the 2016 ballot, which is starting to seem more and more likely.

Under Michigan state law, first time marijuana use offenders face jail time or fine of up to $100 plus court fees. First time possession offenders face up to one year in jail and a maximum fine of $2,000 plus court fees.

Michigan’s harsh marijuana laws will not transform if this type of legislation is the key example at a local level.

This is not the type of legislation that creates room for modification or even consideration of new laws.

As a an institution located in East Lansing we want to see a revelation in marijuana regulation and reform within the city, this time with a lot more consideration of the future.The State News wants to see a change in East Lansing’s weed culture and have the laws follow suit on a much larger scale.

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: City decriminalization a misstep for actual marijuana reform” on social media.