Lawyers release statement on behalf of softball head coach

<p>MSU softball head coach Jacquie Joseph talks with the referee April 17, 2015, during a game against Minnesota at Secchia Softball Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Golden Gophers, 8-4. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

MSU softball head coach Jacquie Joseph talks with the referee April 17, 2015, during a game against Minnesota at Secchia Softball Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Golden Gophers, 8-4. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

In the midst of an investigation into softball assistant coach Jessica Bograkos and the program as a whole, a statement has now come on behalf of head coach Jacquie Joseph from her attorney Shirlee Bobryk of White, Schneider, Young & Chiodini.

The statement opens with Bobryk stating that she would like to respond to the allegations made by former softball player Alyssa McBride that she was targeted with pitches after stating she wished she had played at another school due to the amount of losing she endured in her time at MSU.

The bulk of the statement consists of two quotes from Joseph:

“I have devoted my past 22 years as MSU head softball coach to guiding and mentoring student-athletes in the type of ideals, values and skills necessary to achieve success on the field, in their careers, and throughout their lives,” the statement read. “During this time, I have never said or done anything to harm any of the student-athletes who have been entrusted to me. In fact, I have done everything in my power to increase public respect for this great university, and to increase the well-justified pride of the Spartan Nation.”

The statement continued:

“The allegations against me are categorically untrue. I have cooperated fully with investigators for the Michigan State Police and MSU police department— and will cooperate with the university’s independent investigators, as well— in hopes of resolving this situation and restoring my reputation as quickly as possible,” Joseph said in the statement. “Until the legal process concludes, I am unable to personally respond to the hundreds of calls and emails I have received from coaches and former students, so at this time I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation for all the support.”

The statement ends with Bobryk urging people not to jump to conclusions as Joseph has never been subject to “even a minor disciplinary action” and that Joseph will not be answering questions from media about this until further notice per Bobryk’s suggestion

Share and discuss “Lawyers release statement on behalf of softball head coach” on social media.