MSU students need to stop major shaming

One thing every college student needs to realize is that no matter what major you choose, you still have to find a job.

Engineering and medical field-related jobs are definitely in demand, but that doesn’t mean all other majors don’t have a shot at finding a job post-graduation. 

When I chose my major, I went for my passion. That doesn’t necessarily mean that I’ll be rich; I probably won’t, but I’ll be happy. I just could not see myself doing anything that wasn’t journalism. 

Unfortunately, in this day and age students are terrified to pursue something they love because the job market is so unpredictable. 

However, I am a huge defender of the idea that you should do what you love and the money will come. If I chose something I could succeed at but would be painful for me to do, then I’d be living my life as someone I’m not. 

Everyone needs to stop shaming each other’s major and attacking certain career choices with stereotypes.

Engineers know how to communicate effectively and English majors are well-rounded enough to get a job. Communication majors aren’t slackers who don’t have to study, and pre-med majors have lives.

It always depends on the person and their goals. 

Categorizing each and every person based upon their major is not only stupid, but extremely limiting. 

If everyone spent as much time building each other up as they do bringing each other down then students would stop feeling inferior for pursuing what they love.

Maybe it’s the competitive nature or superiority complex that certain students feel, but someone who isn’t studying what you’re studying isn’t below you. 

I cannot believe the amount of times I have been given a look or have been laughed at because, in a room full of business and engineering students, I am the only journalism student. 

I made my choice and I’m proud that I went with my gut. However, it doesn’t make it easier when you’re trying to succeed in your major and all you hear is just how easy it must be. 

People have no proof that it is a less-demanding major, they choose to say so only because it’s different from the norm. On campus, my major is far outnumbered by the other schools and departments. 

I like that my choice is unique and I have met some of the most creative people through the College of Communication Arts and Sciences. 

I don’t know what it is, but in advertising and journalism, among other majors, everyone thinks outside of the box. 

Even though you may be tempted to put yourself on a pedestal, consider this: another person’s success or choice does not take away from your own.

College students, it’s time to stop major shaming and just worry about your own future.

Share and discuss “MSU students need to stop major shaming” on social media.