Big Ten-honored hockey defenseman to leave MSU

<p>Freshman defenseman Josh Jacobs and junior forward Michael Ferrantino defend Michigan forward Dylan Larkin Feb. 7, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois.  The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 4-1, in the Coyote Logistics Hockey City Classic. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Freshman defenseman Josh Jacobs and junior forward Michael Ferrantino defend Michigan forward Dylan Larkin Feb. 7, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 4-1, in the Coyote Logistics Hockey City Classic. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

MSU Hockey head coach Tom Anastos announced on May 29 that defenseman Josh Jacobs would not be returning for the 2015-2016 season, instead choosing to pursue professional interests elsewhere.

“Josh has informed me that he has decided to leave school to pursue his professional hockey interests,” Anastos said in a statement. “We are certainly respectful of his decision, appreciate his contributions to our program and wish him all the best in his hockey career moving forward.”

Jacobs himself said in a statement that he was “very thankful to Michigan State University and the hockey community for everything over the past few years and I wish them nothing but the best going forward.”

Jacobs played in 36 games during the 2014-2015 season, scoring nine points with nine assists.

He is expected to play for Ontario Hockey League Sarnia Sting, according to The Detroit News.

Share and discuss “Big Ten-honored hockey defenseman to leave MSU” on social media.