Annual Lansing fishing festival encourages residents to enjoy nature

The 2015 Grand American Fish Rodeo Festival brought fishing lovers together for a friendly tournament over the weekend. 

Gib King , a staff member of the Grand American Fish Rodeo Festival, and also a staff member of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said, "I think lots of people are indoors these days. They have lost touch with nature." King thinks it is important to bring people outdoors to enjoy nature. 

The two-day festival is hosted on the banks of the Grand River in downtown Lansing. The prizes of the tournament are distributed differently depending on the weight, diversity and overall amount of fish.   

When King talked about the river and how it relates to the community, he said, "This river system in the trail is (a) real good asset for the community." 

Besides walking along the river, King said, "The big tent over there is (the) education tent...They are teaching people about aquatics education." Teaching aquatics really emphasizes the importance of the river. 

King said, "I think that is the significance of understanding and appreciating resources we tend to have over years. We want to keep the river clean...and useful." 

Todd Bates , a Lansing resident, said, "We are (an) outdoors family." Bates started fishing when he was 5 year-old. "My dad and my grandfather got me into it," he said. 

Bates said, "You hope to catch a meal, but very seldom you do." 

When Bates talked about his experiences on fishing, he remembered one time that he caught a 3-foot 4-inch long northern pike. "It was about 13 years ago," Bates said. "I was ice fishing in the winter time...there was nobody around the lake." 

Fishing is a relaxing sport for most fishing lovers. 

Bates likes fishing. He said, "It's nice to get away from the city's noise. " 

Share and discuss “Annual Lansing fishing festival encourages residents to enjoy nature ” on social media.