8-year-old girls help recover wallet of 74-year-old woman on MSU campus

<p>74-year-old Williamston resident Jane Johnson poses for a photo with 8-year-old girls HallieJo Battisfore and Giselle Schneider after the two recovered her wallet on Monday, June 15 at the Clarence E. Lewis Landscape Arboretum. (Photo courtesy MSU Police)</p>

74-year-old Williamston resident Jane Johnson poses for a photo with 8-year-old girls HallieJo Battisfore and Giselle Schneider after the two recovered her wallet on Monday, June 15 at the Clarence E. Lewis Landscape Arboretum. (Photo courtesy MSU Police)

It started off as just a regular day for friends HallieJo Battisfore and Giselle Schneider.

On the afternoon of Monday, June 15, the two 8-year-old girls were spending the day with Battisfore's grandmother and Schneider's father at the Clarence E. Lewis Landscape Arboretum, located at the southern end of MSU's campus on Service Road.

However, that regularity soon changed as they made their way into one of the small pavilions of the garden to avoid the rain. That's when they came across a small purse/wallet loaded with various credit cards, I.D.'s and a large sum of cash.

"We have to call the police," said the two little girls, genuinely concerned over the lost property, Giselle's father, David, recalled.

"You're absolutely right," David Schneider told them. "That's what we gotta do."

Soon after this, David Schneider found some MSU employees working in the arboretum and asked them to contact the MSU Police. It wasn't long before MSU Police officer Erin Held was dispatched to the scene.

Meanwhile, 74-year-old Williamston resident Jane Johnson was spending the day at MSU with a friend she made as an undergrad, years ago at the University of North Dakota. But as the two got ready to pay for a meal at a nearby restaurant, Johnson reached for her billfold and realized it was nowhere to be found.

The two then frantically retraced their steps of the day in an attempt to find where Johnson's lost wallet could be. After their searches in most of the places they'd been for the day came up empty, the two finally decided to return to the Clarence E. Lewis Landscape Arboretum.

When they arrived, they noticed a police car in the parking lot speaking with a few individuals. Johnson then approached the group of people, where the two 8-year-old girls eventually were able to hand the wallet over to Johnson, not a penny out of place. 

"It was a tremendous relief," Johnson said. "I was really impressed with their honesty ... they really should be commended."

Johnson then took a picture with the girls and awarded each of them $20.

As for the first thing HallieJo and Giselle asked for after receiving the money, that was easy — MSU Dairy Store ice cream.

Share and discuss “8-year-old girls help recover wallet of 74-year-old woman on MSU campus” on social media.